Need help (travel in UK on a budget)

19 Apr 2011 21:43 #1 by bailey bud
Anyone here familiar with the UK?

Specifically - how to travel on a beer budget!

Contemplating travel there (I have enough air miles for a free round-trip).

Start in London
- Fishguard (Wales)
- Kilkenny
- Dublin
- Liverpool
London

It's an ambitious itinerary - but I think it could be done in a week or so.

I think I can do most of this with a UK train pass. Then - need to find inexpensive places to stay - and less expensive places to eat.

One possibility:
[url=https://www.railtoursireland.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]https://www.railtoursireland.com[/url]
Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Apr 2011 14:48 #2 by bailey bud
so - nobody here has traveled in the UK?

21 Apr 2011 14:50 #3 by JMC
Been 20 years for me but I have several old buds there, I will contact them and pm you.

21 Apr 2011 21:33 #4 by RivendaleFarms
bailey bud, I haven't been there but Ireland's on the top of my wish list. I'll have to travel vicariously through you. A couple of the guys I work with have spent a lot of time in Scotland but I think other areas of the UK as well, I'll ask them tomorrow for ideas.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

23 Apr 2011 19:24 #5 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Need help (travel in UK on a budget)

bailey bud wrote: Anyone here familiar with the UK?

Specifically - how to travel on a beer budget!

Contemplating travel there (I have enough air miles for a free round-trip).

Start in London
- Fishguard (Wales)
- Kilkenny
- Dublin
- Liverpool
London

It's an ambitious itinerary - but I think it could be done in a week or so.

I think I can do most of this with a UK train pass. Then - need to find inexpensive places to stay - and less expensive places to eat.

One possibility:
[url=https://www.railtoursireland.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]https://www.railtoursireland.com[/url]
Any suggestions?

Try looking on the internet

24 Apr 2011 11:12 #6 by ScienceChic
Hey bailey bud!

Sorry, it took a while to hear back from my friends who grew up there, or married someone from there and travel back quite often. The take-home message seems to be that it's not cheap to travel in the UK at all. Sorry for the news. I do have a few tips from my friends though, here's what they wrote:

Hi Sharon - keep forgetting to answer this sorry! Ummm, well, unfortunately London is NOT cheap. What we've always done is take the tube everywere during the day (get a day pass, much cheaper).

I usually can find hotels for cheap, but I do it a weird way. I google London, England. Then zoom in on the city and type in "cheap hotels" for a search...and it pops up some links...then I just do my research from there.

I found a really great priced hotel last time, and it was in an excellent tube location (access to all over the city from that one station) It was called Megaro Hotel, it was across the street from Kings Cross. I don't know what the rates are now, but at the time they were awesome for what we got. Updated hotel, very clean, nice beds, bathroom etc. We liked it. And the staff was great.

oh boy, once I saw 'cheap' i thought 'hmmm goodluck!!! Trains are very expensive but they are THE way to get around. I would visit an underground website and look into passes- if he's trying to do cheap, then this will be the determining factor as to where he can visit,

Gas is currently $8 a gallon (equivalent to us gallon= I worked it out with my dad) so rental cars are probably out.

I would look at train first, then determine where he can really go. He may look into the adult version of youth hostels; even bed and breakfasts are over 100 pounds a night.....

nothing about England is cheap!!! Even a pint of beer is over 3pounds 50 (currency rate is currently 1.6 dollars to the pounds)

sorry to be such a downer- England is EXPENSIVE but beautiful.

Goodluck, and let me know if you need anything else!!!

I hope this helps get you started! We expect pics to be posted if you go! :wink:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds