NEED to KNOW!!!! These Heroes!!!

25 Apr 2011 06:37 - 07 Jun 2011 05:52 #1 by TPP
"The soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war." --Douglas MacArthur

Anthony Henderson Triggered A Marine Triumph In Afghanistan
http://www.investors.com/image/LSpic_110105_345.jpg.cms
One key for leaders is to find a balance between getting out front and sitting back to see the big picture, says Lt. Col. Anthony Henderson.

"That is the biggest quandary," the Marine Corps officer told IBD.

"There are no textbooks that say, 'Your position is here at this moment.' You have to feel it. You have to learn it by training and then from experience."

Please read...
http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/558692/201101041724/Anthony-Henderson-Triggered-A-Marine-Triumph-In-Afghanistan.aspx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Apr 2011 08:56 #2 by CC
Replied by CC on topic NEED to KNOW!!!! These Heroes!!!
Great story. We should do a hero a day!

25 Apr 2011 09:17 #3 by TPP
That's what I'm hoping....

25 Apr 2011 16:36 #4 by navycpo7
I agree and the First one that should be honored is a Young Marine by the name of Slocum. He was a hero, he lost his life doing what he believed in. There is a book written about his unit and what happened that day. You can bet we will never forget him.

26 Apr 2011 07:10 #5 by CC
Replied by CC on topic NEED to KNOW!!!! These Heroes!!!
Nor will I navycpo7.

28 Apr 2011 05:20 #6 by TPP
Grenade Was No Match For Austin McCall
http://www.investors.com/image/LSmug_100929_640x480.jpg.cms

"I don't know anyone who lives by that Ranger creed more than McCall does," said Staff Sgt. Michael Gross, a fellow Ranger who was leading a backup squad on that day in January. "His job and the welfare of his men definitely come first."

He and his Ranger squad were tracking a reported suicide bomber to an enemy compound in the eastern region. When the Americans reached the spot, they used explosives to blow open the doors.

McCall led his squad inside to a guest house where the terrorists were believed to be holed up. He then got ahead of his squad and went into the courtyard of the house alone. That's where he faced the suicide bomber, who had two grenades in hand.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/548647/201009281715/Grenade-Was-No-Match-For-Austin-McCall.aspx

29 Apr 2011 06:08 #7 by TPP
Wisconsin Guardsman Receives Bronze Star with Valor Device
Army Brig. Gen. Mark Anderson, commander of the Wisconsin Army National Guard, congratulates Michael A. Olivas who was awarded a Bronze Star medal with "V" device for valor during a ceremony at Stricker Pond Park in Middleton, Wis., Sept. 14, 2010. The award recognizes Olivas' heroism during an insurgent ambush on a Wisconsin Army National Guard convoy security mission in southern Iraq on Jan. 30, 2005. (Photo by 1st Sgt. Vaughn R. Larson, Wisconsin National Guard)

Wisconsin National Guard
By 1st Sgt. Vaughn R. Larson

MIDDLETON, Wis., Sept. 15, 2010
More than five years after a fierce firefight on his first solo mission in Iraq, a former Wisconsin National Guard Soldier was awarded a Bronze Star medal with "V" device for valor.
Michael Olivas of Sun Prairie, Wis., was a staff sergeant with the 1158th Transportation Company when he completed his term of service earlier this year. He accepted the award during a quiet Sept. 14 ceremony here at Stricker Pond Park, a completely different setting from the night his heroism was called upon.
http://www.arng.army.mil/News/Pages/WisconsinGuardsmanReceivesBronzeStarwithValorDevice.aspx

02 May 2011 05:54 #8 by TPP
A NAVY SEAL seems to be best to honor today!

Military Order of the Purple Heart Salutes the Parents and Family of US Navy SEAL and Medal of Honor Recipient, Lt. Michael P. Murphy, upon the Christening of DDG-112, USS Michael Murphy

"Lt. Michael P. Murphy was killed by enemy forces during a reconnaissance mission, Operation Redwing, on June 28, 2005. Lt. Murphy lead a four-man team tasked with finding a key Taliban leader in the mountainous terrain near Asadabad, Afghanistan, when they came under fire from a much larger enemy force with superior tactical position. Mortally wounded while exposing himself to enemy fire, Murphy knowingly left his position of cover to get a clear signal in order to communicate with his headquarters. While being shot at repeatedly, Murphy calmly provided his unit's location and requested immediate support for his element. He returned to his cover position to continue the fight until finally succumbing to his wounds. For his valor and heroism, On October 22, 2007, President George W. Bush posthumously presented the Medal of Honor to the parents of Lt. Michael P. Murphy. He was the first person to be awarded the medal for actions in Afghanistan, and the first member of the U.S. Navy to receive the award since the Vietnam War."

http://www.myprgenie.com/view-publication/military-order-of-the-purple-heart-salutes-the-parents-and-family-of-us-navy-seal-and-medal-of-honor-recipient-lt-michael-p-murphy-upon-the-christening-of-ddg-112-uss-michael-murphy

03 May 2011 06:47 #9 by TPP
Michael Yon, is one of the heroes that tells us about the heroes. I became aware of him in 2005, shortly before he took this picture. I suggest you read his reports. He is with them, on the front line...

"Death of a Terrorist
02 May 2011
Our people have hunted down and killed Osama bin Laden. Thank you to all the military and other good people who tracked him down to his own sanctuary. We can only hope that the materials captured at his hiding place will lead to more terrorists, and that they will meet similar ends.
Today I received a message from the office of Secretary of Defense Robert Gates: “Secretary Gates is enormously proud of everyone involved in making yesterday’s operation a success. It was an extraordinary achievement.” It certainly was. America is today extremely proud of our secret warriors and the considerable organizations that facilitate their work.
The wounds inflicted upon humanity by the death cult that is al Qaeda have been enormous. We should remember the tears of the innocent as we continue the hunt in the pursuit of justice and self-defense.
Six years ago today, an apparent al Qaeda suicide bomber killed a little girl named Farah. Maybe it was in the name of justice that Osama bin Laden’s dead body was dumped anonymously at sea on the same day, on the anniversary of Farah’s loss."

Mosul
"Major Mark Bieger found this little girl after the car bomb that attacked our guys while kids were crowding around. The soldiers here have been angry and sad for two days. They are angry because the terrorists could just as easily have waited a block or two and attacked the patrol away from the kids. Instead, the suicide bomber drove his car and hit the Stryker when about twenty children were jumping up and down and waving at the soldiers. Major Bieger, I had seen him help rescue some of our guys a week earlier during another big attack, took some of our soldiers and rushed this little girl to our hospital. He wanted her to have American surgeons and not to go to the Iraqi hospital. She didn’t make it. I snapped this picture when Major Bieger ran to take her away. He kept stopping to talk with her and hug her."

"[Post Script]
The reaction to my photo of Major Bieger cradling Farah, the little girl who died in his arms, provoked a flood of messages and heartfelt responses from caring people around the world. I have spent the last several days trying to read every message, and respond to as many as possible, but the flow has finally outpaced me, much as the swiftness of a river will finally defeat even the most determined swimmer."

Your Writer,
Michael Yon"

Read the whole story at
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/death-of-a-terrorist.htm

05 May 2011 07:40 #10 by TPP

Last World War I combat vet dies in Australia
"SYDNEY — The last known combat veteran of World War I was defiant of the tolls of time, a centenarian who swam in the sea, twirled across dance floors, and published his first book at 108. He also refused to submit to his place in history, becoming a pacifist who wouldn't march in parades commemorating wars like the one that made him famous.
Claude Stanley Choules, a man of contradictions, humble spirit and wry humor, died in a Western Australia nursing home on Thursday at the age of 110. And though his accomplishments were many — including a a 41-year military career that spanned two world wars — the man known as "Chuckles" to his comrades in the Australian Navy was happiest being known as a dedicated family man."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42908450/?gt1=43001

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds