Next Rec Center Vote

04 May 2011 10:23 #11 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic Next Rec Center Vote
:like:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 May 2011 10:55 #12 by Stymie
Replied by Stymie on topic Next Rec Center Vote
Given the $15k to run the election and the $70k for lawyers plus whatever additional costs I'm thinking the people that organized this will think twice about doing it again. They've had fundraisers but I don't imagine bake sales and auctions could bring in enough to cover these costs. Someone is out a lot of money.

04 May 2011 12:54 #13 by Local_Historian
Winning friends and influencing people again, eh Del? I'd be surprised if you have any friends around here, or even neighbors willing to speak to you the way you insult people and make assumptions about their lives without a clue.

I hadn't seen the results, but I'm guessing the No vote won.

04 May 2011 13:47 #14 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Next Rec Center Vote
Is that your mom in your avatar TPP? what a great smile :)

04 May 2011 13:52 #15 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Next Rec Center Vote
Yes, I'll tell her you said so, wish I had a better picture.

04 May 2011 14:12 - 04 May 2011 15:10 #16 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic Next Rec Center Vote
She looks just like my grandma.

My grandma died last year - she was 93.

04 May 2011 14:14 #17 by BearMtnHIB
Replied by BearMtnHIB on topic Next Rec Center Vote

Someone is out a lot of money.

I doubt it. The lawyers were probably working under the assumption that because of the tatics used - this would pass this time around. They made sure the cards were stacked against the community and the voters. They were probably working on a contingency basis. Yes- the lawyers are probably thinking they should have spent the time on somthing more profitable - but hind-sight is 20/20.

They just didn't make the kind of money they thought they would. They are mostly out time - not money.

Those lawyers will probably think twice before taking on this particular issue again- unless some of the proponents themselves were the lawyers involved. It is possible that the lawyers were part of the group who keep pushing this new tax district- in that case the time means nothing to them.

We will see how fast they come back with another proposal.

What should be alarming about this whole thing- is the fact that our State and Local laws are set up in a way that makes expanding government very easy to do. No wonder so many special districts have been formed in our county. We should all advocate to change these rules. It only took one judge to allow this election to go foward- after it has been MADE VERY CLEAR 3 TIMES that the community did not want this.

Special Taxing Districts and Special Improvements Districts

A special district is a taxing authority formed and empowered to set mill levies and collect property taxes for special services such as water and sanitation, fire protection or recreation.

A special improvement district (SID) is a district formed by the municipalities and/or the county with the power to lay special assessments on the property for the cost of the construction of infrastructures that benefit those properties. (i.e. road paving or new water and sewer lines.) The assessment is collected by the Treasurer with property taxes and is shown separately on the tax statement.

There are 202 such special districts in Jefferson County- if you want to see them all- here’s a link to the list.
http://dola.colorado.gov/dlg/local_gove ... erson.html

05 May 2011 11:25 #18 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Next Rec Center Vote

archer wrote: Is that your mom in your avatar TPP? what a great smile :)

Told her, and she says "Well, Thank you!"

05 May 2011 11:30 #19 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Next Rec Center Vote

TPP wrote:

archer wrote: Is that your mom in your avatar TPP? what a great smile :)

Told her, and she says "Well, Thank you!"

She is more than welcome....I wish my mom would smile more, she always has this half smile on her face, like she knows something no one else does....hmmmmm, maybe she does.

05 May 2011 11:36 #20 by Wily Fox aka Angela

deltamrey wrote: Cave dwellers underwrite the continued depression in this area - big party today (well daily) at the bars. They drink daily the tax increase they fear...........burp.

:Troll:

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds