Coming time to paint/stain the house. Opinions on brands

08 May 2011 03:38 #1 by Wylie Coyote
I did some remodling on the house 4 years ago and used Behr Premium solid color stain to cover the new and old cedar siding. The stain was suppose to be Behr's best with a 20 yr warranty. Now 4 years later, and really last year, I have loose paint all over and will have to power wash off all the loose stuff and re-stain this summer. Has any one had any better luck with a different brand of paint/stain lasting any longer? I can spray the house in 2 hours each and 2 times in one day but all the prep work, masking and clean up after sure makes a 3 to 5 day project out of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 May 2011 09:36 #2 by Martin Ent Inc
I have a client that is a painter/stainer up here and all over the foothills.
He said due to the sun, extreme varies in temp etc, Not to buy the expensive 20 Blah blah stuff as you will get just as good of results out of the cheaper 2 to 3 years stuff. I pressure wash twice, then use the 2 to 3 year paint and have had good luck, and I am all sothern exposure.

On the other hand if you want to pay the ridiculous price for the company ie: Sears/other then they would have to take care of it over and over again.
But I bet if you read the fine print they have an escape Clause.

09 May 2011 17:12 #3 by bailey bud
Whatever Timeline uses......

09 May 2011 18:46 #4 by deltamrey
Here in "Green Acres"
do a lot of homework and avoid locals.

09 May 2011 19:42 #5 by HEARTLESS
deltamrey is always making friends up here. A well placed kick would give you a couple achers. :woo hoo:

The silent majority will be silent no more.

09 May 2011 19:43 #6 by BaileyMama
You should call Behr. They stand behind their warranty. We bought stain last summer and the color turned out way darker than the sample and they bought us all new stain and primer to redo the house. We are so happy with them.

09 May 2011 22:11 #7 by ScienceChic
I just got my June issue of Consumer Reports in the mail today and there's a review of paints and stains inside. To make a long story short:
    "Premium" can be hype: Behr touts its Premium Solid Color Stain, #35, as the best of that Home Depot brand. But, it isn't holding up as well as Behr's lower-priced, nonpremium solid stain after the equivalent of 6 years in the elements.

The best solid finishes fared as well or better longer [than clear sealers].

Big brands remain inconsistent.

Ratings for House & Deck Stains
1. Behr Solid Color Deck, Fence, and Siding Wood Stain (Home Depot) $27/gal, Overall Score 79, Appearance Excellent at 3 & 6 years, Very Good at 9 Years
2. Sears Weatherbeater Deck, Fence, and Siding Solid $25/gal, Overall Score 64, Appearance Very Good at 3 & 6 Years, Good at 9 Years
3. Sherwin-Williams Woodscapes Solid $40/gal, Overall Score 62, Appearance Very Good at 3 years, Good at 6 & 9 Years
4. Woodsman Solid Color Deck Stain $27/gal, Overall Score 20, Appearance Good at 3 years, Fair at 6 years, NA at 9 Years

Still being tested (completed the equivalent of 3-6 years' exposure)
Wolman DuraStain Solid
Olympic Maximum Deck, Fence, and Siding Solid Stain
Behr Premium Solid Color Deck, Fence, and Siding Weatherproofing Wood Stain
Sikkens Rubbol Solid Siding Finish
Benjamin Moore Arborcoat Deck & Siding Solid
Sherwin-Williams Deckscapes Solid
Cabot Solid Color Decking Stain
Flood SWF-Solid Wood Stain

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 May 2011 07:03 #8 by Wylie Coyote
I did call Behr last fall and they said something about powerwashing NOT being the right thing to do because it forces the dirt into the grain of the wood. Figured it was an excuse (#43) and would wait until this summer for more pealing. If they discounted 'some' would be nice. For all the other involved though if a longer lasting paint cost more it would probably worth it. I remember a primer called the Gripper at one of the big box stores that I need to check into. I don't know how it would work on cedar and outside. Thanks SC for the info!!

10 May 2011 12:22 #9 by ScienceChic
You're welcome!

I've used the Gripper primer inside - it's thick and works great, but like you said, not sure how it would work outside (it sticks to unfinished and finished wood like super glue, so the cedar itself shouldn't be a problem). Any paint you put over it will still fade/wear off, but it might be worth checking into to see if it would increase the lifetime at all. Please keep us posted - I'm sure others would love to learn the outcome of your project for their own homes!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds