Beekeepers Battle 'Perfect Storm'

11 May 2011 09:32 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Seventy percent of the crop species that feed 90 percent of all people in the world require bees for pollination.

THE GIST

Honeybees are still in the throes of a "perfect storm" of viruses, mites and more, but beekeepers are fighting back.
The United States has banned importing Australian adult honeybees, which often carried viruses and mites.
The ban along with emphasis on community-based beekeeping, sustainable agriculture and more help fight bee decline.

Chemical pesticides, viruses, mites and many other problems have unleashed "the perfect storm" against honeybee populations worldwide. But beekeepers are fighting back in a valiant attempt to stave off the disastrous bee population decline.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, honey-producing colonies have experienced a population drop of more than 60 percent in the past 60 years. The United Kingdom's honeybee population has halved in recent years, with declines also reported in the Middle East, Asia and other parts of Europe.

Aside from ecosystem issues, the problem warrants human attention because 70 percent of the crop species that feed 90 percent of all people in the world require bees for pollination.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/bees- ... gn=rssnws1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 May 2011 09:40 #2 by BearMtnHIB
I'm starting my first bee hive this summer- I built a top bar hive last fall and I'm just waiting to get a call from the swarm list.

I hope to get a call in the next week or so.

11 May 2011 10:20 #3 by Wily Fox aka Angela
good for you! please post pictures if you can.

11 May 2011 10:27 #4 by chickaree
I'd love a hive, but I'd just be feeding the bear.

11 May 2011 22:44 #5 by MountainRoadCrew
Some information that was quoted from the link in the original post was removed per the Fair Use Doctrine. Our apologies, but we must remain in compliance.

Thank you for your understanding!

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds