Flying the US Flag

16 Jun 2010 12:47 #1 by ComputerBreath
I travel from Fairplay to Summit County and from Fairplay to the Denver metro area frequently. Something that has chapped my behind since I retired from the AF and moved back to Colorado is the frequency with which I see unserviceable (torn, faded, or tattered) US flags flying as well as unlight flags flying at night. Not only are these flags at residences and businesses but they are at government buildings. The satellite post office in Breckenridge; the one near the library in Fairplay, I've even seen a sad one at the courthouse in Fairplay (it isn't there now).

I am disturbed and disgusted that the flag is being disrespected. I wonder if people even know about 36 United States Code which governs flying our flag? Or if they even care?

In a couple of cases, I am sorely tempted to take the flag down myself and take it to the "owner" and let them know not to fly it again unless they are abiding by the established rules. But, that is a criminal act and I'd get in trouble, so I'll just vent.

All I ask, is if you choose to fly the flag, please follow the established rules and fly it properly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jun 2010 13:55 #2 by Ronbo
Replied by Ronbo on topic Flying the US Flag
I don't see it as a sign of disrepect. I see it as them being proud of our country regardless of the condition of the flag and under what conditons it is flown.

16 Jun 2010 14:35 #3 by Neytiri
Replied by Neytiri on topic Flying the US Flag

ComputerBreath wrote: I wonder if people even know about 36 United States Code which governs flying our flag? Or if they even care?

I think many are not aware of the rules. I think people learn from what their parents did and maybe their parents didn't teach them or were not aware of the rules either so this knowledge is not passed on.

Eywa has heard you... Eywa has heard you!

16 Jun 2010 15:25 #4 by ComputerBreath
Replied by ComputerBreath on topic Flying the US Flag
For residential and small business, I agree. For government entities (state, county, or federal) they should know and do!

16 Jun 2010 15:28 #5 by Ronbo
Replied by Ronbo on topic Flying the US Flag
Again, they are not showing signs of disrepect. Quire the contray. They are showing pride for their country by flying a flag. There are much more important issues in the world than to worry about if a flag is a little worn or is being flown at night without illuminaiton.

16 Jun 2010 15:46 #6 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Flying the US Flag
O! say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

I put the anthem here so that the reasons for the code, specifically the lighting of Old Glory at night, can be understood and appreciated. The reason that the flag is illuminated during the dark hours of the night is so that her citizens can clearly see that the banner of their nation does indeed still fly over the land of the free and the home of the brave, even in the darkest of hours. Even a small light, sufficient that the banner can be seen, is sufficient. It need not be a night erasing spotlight, but there should be some illumination so that even in the darkest of hours, the banner of our nation can still be seen.

Though I must agree with regards to the condition of the flag with Ronbo. A scarred flag may not look as nice as one that has no flaws, but even a flag that is in disrepair has something to say about the nation and its people - maybe even the person who is proudly flying that flag. It conveys pride to me, especially now given all of the problems that our nation faces. It says we may be tired, we may be bruised, some of us may be on our last legs, but this nation is still standing, as are the people who love her so dearly.

16 Jun 2010 15:51 #7 by ComputerBreath
Replied by ComputerBreath on topic Flying the US Flag
I disagree that the United States Post Office is NOT showing disrespect to the flag by flying a decrepit, torn, unserviceable flag. They are part of the Federal Government and as such, should be made to abide by the rules that govern our flag.

Understand that I am a 20-year veteran of the Air Force, and respect of the flag is paramount on all military installations and it is taught that flying the flag is in memory of our fallen servicemembers as well as a symbol of the United States. I believe that the majority of service men and women will agree with me.

16 Jun 2010 15:55 #8 by PrintSmith
And I would tend to agree with that CB. I was thinking more of the ranchers and private citizens than I was about federal institutions when I made my comments.

16 Jun 2010 16:13 #9 by PrintSmith
For those who might be interested, you may purchase a flag, at cost, from the congressional offices of Congressman Coffman. If desired, a flag that has been flown over the Capitol Building is available with a Certificate of Authenticity and the purchaser can also request that the flag be flown on a specific date important to you or the person that will receive the flag.

CS got one of these as a gift for me, in remembrance of my father, an honorably discharged veteran of the Navy, and it is a gift I treasure for both her kindness and the memories of my father whenever it is flown.

http://forms.house.gov/coffman/webforms/flags.shtml

16 Jun 2010 18:32 #10 by ShilohLady
Replied by ShilohLady on topic Flying the US Flag
One of the scouts from the Troop I'm associated with took this issue for his Eagle project. He lives in Evergreen but the troop pulls from both Evergreen and Conifer so he made a list of (primarily businesses) with tattered/unserviceable flags from Both Conifer and Evergreen, contacted them and offered a free replacement. Some took him up on it others replaced on their own cost. He collected the old flags and had a nice retirement ceremony. This was several years ago and I remember that John Witwer was our Representative at the time and he attended the flag retirement.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds