10 Things You Should Never Do

25 May 2011 11:19 - 07 May 2017 17:11 #1 by ScienceChic
I'm going to have to get this book! I love little snippets of wisdom.

www.kindlepost.com/2011/05/10-things-you...1_fb_kin_kb_20110524
10 Things You Should Never Do
by Kindle Editors on 05/17/2011

Below is a guest post by psychologist Dr. Mardy Grothe, author of six books of qoutations. His newest book Neverisms is a comical, and at times even instructive, collection of things never to do.

When people say things like "Always do your best" they're engaging in the time-honored practice of exhortation. But what is the proper term for strongly-worded attempts to discourage people—as when people say things like "Never ruin an apology with an excuse." The proper term is dehortation, the opposite of exhortation. That word is rare, though, so I've coined my own term for these kinds of strongly-worded cautionary warnings. I've also used it to title my new book. In Neverisms: A Quotation Lover's Guide to Things You Should Never Do, Never Say, or Never Forget, www.amazon.com/Neverisms-Quotation-Lover...s_05162011_neverisms you will find nearly 2,000 pieces of "dissuasive advice given with authority." Some are ancient, but with modern relevance.

The conclusion? Never underestimate the power of a neverism to improve your life.

This is my favorite of the ones they listed:
1) "Never dare to judge until you have heard the other side." --Euripides, 5th century B.C.

What would you add?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 May 2011 11:32 #2 by major bean
1. Never again.

Regards,
Major Bean

25 May 2011 11:42 #3 by archer
What happened to "never say never"?

25 May 2011 15:12 #4 by Aquaria
NEVER judge a book by it's cover or ...

Appearance is not essence, perception is not reality, and the cover is not the book.

Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest.

25 May 2011 16:43 #5 by otisptoadwater
Always drink upstream from the herd, never look directly up at a bird, and don't squat with your spurs on.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

25 May 2011 21:33 #6 by otisptoadwater
That big red button that is marked "DO NOT PUSH" was marked that way for a reason - engineers and 7 year old children - THIS MEANS YOU!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

27 May 2011 20:12 #7 by AlpineMike
I have a few "-isms" myself....

Never assume anyone really knows what you are talking about.

A story is only a story until you live it for yourself.

Hatred is baggage.

The word "never" is misused as much as "forever".

27 May 2011 22:23 #8 by Local_Historian
Never say never again.

Oh wait, that was a James Bond movie...NVM!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds