Facebook under fire for photo tagging feature

08 Jun 2011 19:24 #1 by ScienceChic
Glad someone's keeping on top of Facebook!

http://topicfire.com/share/Facebook-und ... 16752.html
Facebook under fire for photo tagging feature
June 8, 2011

Tag Suggestions uses facial recognition software to match newly uploaded photos to photos that have been tagged elsewhere and suggests the name of the friend in the photo for tagging.

Although the feature was launched in the United States in December, it began coming under scrutiny again this week following a blog post by Graham Cluley of the security firm Sophos.

Cluley objected to the enabling of the photo tagging feature without giving users any notice and the fact that it is an opt-in instead of an opt-out process, meaning users were included unless they specifically changed their settings.

"The tagging is still done by your friends, not by Facebook, but rather creepily Facebook is now pushing your friends to go ahead and tag you," Cluley said.

"Facebook does not give you any right to pre-approve tags," he said. "Instead the onus is on you to untag yourself in any photo a friend has tagged you in. After the fact."

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jun 2011 22:36 #2 by ScienceChic
Step-by-step guide on how to disable this feature:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/0 ... =fb&src=sp

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Jun 2011 20:08 #3 by nothing wrong with me
Replied by nothing wrong with me on topic Facebook under fire for photo tagging feature
I hate getting tagged on FB.
Thanks for the instructions.
FB is getting harder and harder to use and the privacy issues are getting worse.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds