How to treat beetle kill wood

11 Jun 2011 13:52 #1 by Mtn Gramma
We took down a tree today that is beetle killed. I've seen people stack the wood and cover it with clear or black plastic for a year (season?) to kill the beetles and larva. Anyone able to tell me the process? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jun 2011 15:42 #2 by Something the Dog Said
One very effective way to kill larvae developing under the bark (though very labor intensive) is by peeling away the bark, either by hand or mechanically; this exposes the larvae to unfavorable conditions -- the larvae will dehydrate, starve and eventually die. Logs my also be burned or scorched in a pile -- preferably when there is snow on the ground (contact your local forester for assistance). They can also be buried under at least eight inches of soil, or chipped. Following beetle emergence, wood can be used without threat to other trees.
Chemical control options for MPB larvae have been greatly limited in recent years. At present, there are no labeled pesticides for use on MPB.
Solar treatments may be appropriate in some areas of Colorado to reduce beetle populations in infested trees. For the treatment to be effective, the temperature under the bark much reach 110 degrees Fahrenheit or more. Such treatments can be performed with or without plastic. This method is also labor intensive; contact your local forester for more details on solar treatments.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05528.html

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

11 Jun 2011 15:44 #3 by Something the Dog Said
also, the beetles usually leave for new trees in mid June to July.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

11 Jun 2011 17:23 #4 by Wayne Harrison
I treat beetle-killed trees with disdain.

11 Jun 2011 18:59 #5 by Martin Ent Inc
Most people try to cut beetle killed trees in summer and by then the beetles are already gone so time wasted wrapping skinng burning etc.

11 Jun 2011 19:07 #6 by Something the Dog Said
The beetles do not typically leave until late June or early July. If there is sap or saw dust present, then that is evidence that the beetles have left.

11 Jun 2011 22:02 #7 by Mtn Gramma
I have seen stacks of blocked, beetle killed wood covered in plastic. Does anyone know if there's an insecticide sprayed on the wood before covering it? Or should it just be covered?

12 Jun 2011 09:31 #8 by Martin Ent Inc
Call USFS at Goddard Ranch Rd 303.275-5610 or 5610.
we used to do alot of work for them and they gave us all the scoop on beetles.

12 Jun 2011 13:48 #9 by Mtn Gramma
Thanks, everyone. I'll call USFS tomorrow.

14 Jun 2011 15:42 #10 by Mtn Gramma
USFS referred me to the Colorado State Forest Service. Here's their procedure for solar treating the wood: Block the logs and lay them out in a single layer. Sprinkle well with water and cover with clear plastic. Dig a trench all around the logs and bury the plastic to create a good seal. The reasoning is that you're creating a greenhouse effect and don't want fresh air getting in under the plastic and cooling the logs off. The water creates a fungus that attacks the beetles and the larvae, in addition to the heat "cooking" them. I asked him if it would help to put a layer of black plastic down first and he said that it wouldn't hurt and would draw more heat.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds