anyone ever have their cat shaved?

13 Jun 2011 19:16 #11 by mountaindollar
We shaved our cat each spring and they loved it.

Make sure you work with a groomer that does cats. We started shaving our own after about two years. Left the legs,tail and head long just trimmed with scissors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jun 2011 19:25 #12 by Wily Fox aka Angela
he's a mess and with three different layers of fur and now he has a flea allergy (even though he has no fleas) and is on meds, so he's got some bumps and stuff going on... he's a fat boy, I think he's gonna be hilarious. He's a very outgoing cat and walks with a harness and leash. I hope my sister keeps him inside for a while.

and heartless, I must confess, I have chuckled more than a few times that this would be construed in some other way....

rldbaily, that is amazing that you do it yourself and no scratches.

13 Jun 2011 19:27 #13 by CC
I got it Heartless LOL

13 Jun 2011 21:40 #14 by otisptoadwater

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: My sister just called and she's having her Maine Coon shaved (lion cut) tomorrow. She is FL and it be hot. I'll post pics... anyone else ever do that?

I'd rather give a Grizzly bear a back rub in a phone booth! In my experience, cats don't cotton to that kind of treatment and I'll be last in line to see how that works out. You might get away with it if you had the correct amount of ether around and didn't kill the cat in the process... Otherwise (IMHO) the shaver is gonna come out of that exchange looking like a shredded, bleeding pulp.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

14 Jun 2011 06:29 #15 by rldbailey

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: he's a mess and with three different layers of fur and now he has a flea allergy (even though he has no fleas) and is on meds, so he's got some bumps and stuff going on... he's a fat boy, I think he's gonna be hilarious. He's a very outgoing cat and walks with a harness and leash. I hope my sister keeps him inside for a while.

and heartless, I must confess, I have chuckled more than a few times that this would be construed in some other way....

rldbaily, that is amazing that you do it yourself and no scratches.

My old cat Ruthie is declawed in the front, so that helps and my Boo, the one that gets regular butt cuts has figured out that it's easier and takes less time if she cooperates. She has never clawed me, even when I'm trimming her claws. My Bitty baby gets her claws trimmed and same thing, not one scratch. Motorboy, the hellion of the house, is declawed in the front, so no problems there. I lucked out with this crew! I have also helped a friend shave her cat a couple of times and she gives her kitty a downer before we start to calm her. You know cats, a breed onto themselves and you never know what to expect.

14 Jun 2011 06:30 #16 by TPP
O this is serious...

14 Jun 2011 08:05 #17 by jf1acai
I agree with Otis. I've grown attached to my skin, and would like to keep at least most of it. :)

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

14 Jun 2011 09:05 #18 by Wily Fox aka Angela
update from my sis today

Lets see, how should I describe it, the MORNING FROM HELL, comes to mind. and lets not forget the large therapy dog that is allowed to roam any where he likes, but decides to plop down in the exam room of the already freaked out cat. my scratches should not need stitches!

14 Jun 2011 09:25 #19 by V_A
My wife did this once, I liked it

14 Jun 2011 11:50 #20 by Local_Historian
Only time I had a cat shaved was when it had been bitten by something rather large - vet suggested bobcat or mountain lion because of the shape of the wound. We shaved top of his head and under his jaw in order to medicate the wounds. Ever tried to hold down and medicate a 20 lb cat? NOT fun. Only one that was worse was washing the cat the fell off the deck and into the oil pan as dad was changing the oil on the car.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds