DP Hwy. 285 back-ups caused by semi crash-(Pic)

19 Jun 2011 08:16 #1 by CinnamonGirl

Colorado State Patrol says US 285 was closed in both directions for a time this morning after a semi truck went off the road into the river near Kenosha Pass.

One lane was opened briefly, and both lanes closed again to get the truck out of the river.

Troopers say it is not clear why the truck drove off the road. No injuries have been reported.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18308288

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jun 2011 16:39 - 20 Jun 2011 10:17 #2 by Wayne Harrison
We drove by it on the way to camping on Kenosha Pass yesterday. From the skid marks, he swerved out of the northbound lane, crossed the southbound lane, and when into the river.

Coming back today, we saw what we believed to be his skid marks on every curve prior to the crash. The place where he went off wasn't even that curvy, so I'm guessing he swerved to avoid rear-ending another vehicle in front of him. We could see no other reason to swerve off the road since he had made each of the previous curves and this was somewhat straight.

That photo is of the truck being pulled out. It was further into the river when we went by and the tractor was completely in the river and was level. He did a remarkable job of driving.

19 Jun 2011 21:09 #3 by Hoot Owl

WayneH wrote: . He did a remarkable job of driving.

Uh No, not really. Staying on the road would have been cool. Going into the river was remarkable?

19 Jun 2011 22:04 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Going into the river where he would land on his wheels to avoid rear-ending someone is his lane was remarkable driving. Staying on the road and rear-ending the driver in front of him would not have been.

20 Jun 2011 07:01 #5 by ShilohLady
Going slower so that he wasn't in danger of rear-ending the driver in front would have been even better driving.

20 Jun 2011 08:34 #6 by TPP
They FRICK'in use 285 as a race track, in the morning, No surprise here.

20 Jun 2011 08:57 #7 by ComputerBreath
Yes, some of the semi drivers use 285 as a race track, but gapers don't know (or maybe don't care) that going 35 MPH when looking or trying to find the right turn isn't good driving, either.

20 Jun 2011 09:24 #8 by TPP
Agreed, Just know what I see, and the mornings on 285NB, are scary, when there a semi coming up on you like your standing still, and your doing the speed limit, then they pass and your car gets knocked around, from the backwash. Yes, I have written Jeffco., BTW, they're are also dumbsh*t drivers doing the same in the pouring rain, like this morning!

20 Jun 2011 10:15 #9 by Wayne Harrison

ShilohLady wrote: Going slower so that he wasn't in danger of rear-ending the driver in front would have been even better driving.

If your brakes are out, you don't have a choice.

I love how people turn an out-of-control semi coming off a pass with no brakes into the driver's fault.

20 Jun 2011 11:12 #10 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I agree, Wayne... it does sound like his brakes went out. now, what causes brakes to fail? here's one

[youtube:26bt52lp]
[/youtube:26bt52lp]

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds