Why Supermarket Tomatoes Suck

28 Jun 2011 21:43 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Why Supermarket Tomatoes Suck was created by CinnamonGirl
Excerpted from the new book "Tomatoland: How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit"

http://www.onearth.org/article/tomatola ... rpt?page=1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jun 2011 21:58 #2 by Walter Ouzel
Here is today's (June 28, 2011) interview with the author.

[center:22n2rren] How Industrial Farming Destroyed the Tasty Tomato [/center:22n2rren]

29 Jun 2011 08:10 #3 by ScienceChic
:biggrin: See here for more! <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11923 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11923<!-- l -->

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Jun 2011 08:17 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Why Supermarket Tomatoes Suck
Tomatoes from a store is like buying plastic.

29 Jun 2011 11:02 #5 by noneya BIZ
The best place to buy tomatoes ( i have found) is at the Farmers Markets..

29 Jun 2011 12:50 #6 by ScienceChic
Amen to that noneya BIZ! I just got some this past weekend, yum! My family also buys canning shares from Grant Farms CSA and we received 2 - 35lb boxes of tomatoes last year from locally grown, organic farms and canned Italian stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and whole tomatoes. This year, we'll be doing all that plus our own spaghetti sauce and salsa (ran out of tomatoes last year, learned we need LOTS more!).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Jun 2011 12:58 #7 by MamaRama
Yes to the CANNING!! There's nothing that BEATS the flavor of stuff you can yourself!! I usually put up tons of tomatoes, beets, bread and butter pickles, dills and dilled carrots!! They go over SO well at the Holidays and make GREAT gifts too... And it makes ME feel really good when somebody says "yum, you did these yourself" :biggrin:

29 Jun 2011 12:59 #8 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Why Supermarket Tomatoes Suck
I have the equipment I need someone to teach me.

29 Jun 2011 21:09 #9 by Momma Bear

CinnamonGirl wrote: I have the equipment I need someone to teach me.

Me too. I have the equipment as well and just need a teacher. I get a ton of organic veggies from Grant Family Farms each week and it would be nice to be able to can it!

30 Jun 2011 06:52 #10 by MamaRama
Really guys it's not that tough or confusing. I was forunate to learn from my Mother. Buy a BALL or KERR canning book and start there. Arapahoe County Extension Service at 303-720-1920 (Shelia) can help walk you thru it all. She is a God Send.. I rely on her ALL thru canning season. Just remember to STERALIZE your jars, lids and screw tops. Keep everything good and clean!! Make sure that if water bathing (boiling injars in canner) that you keep your temperature steady and you water bath for YOUR altitude. Good luck.....

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds