Proof You Can Solve the Rubik's Cube W/In 20 Moves!

29 Jun 2011 10:48 #1 by ScienceChic
As a kid, I got one for Christmas and within an hour of my cousin joining us for the big family celebration, she'd messed it up (I was kind of OCD about not ruining its perfect pattern) and I never did manage to solve it. I was mad at her for quite a while about that, although if she hadn't messed it up, I never would've played with it so she ended up sort of doing me a favor. :biggrin:

Did anyone else ever not manage to solve theirs?

http://topicfire.com/share/The-math-of- ... 56863.html
The math of the Rubik's cube
by Larry Hardesty
June 29, 2011

Last August, 30 years after the Rubik’s cube first appeared, an international team of researchers proved that no matter how scrambled a cube got, it could be solved in no more than 20 moves. Although the researchers used some clever tricks to avoid evaluating all 43 quintillion of the cube’s possible starting positions, their proof still relied on the equivalent of 35 years’ worth of number crunching on a good modern computer.

The standard way to solve a Rubik’s cube, Demaine explains, is to find a square that’s out of position and move it into the right place while leaving the rest of the cube as little changed as possible. That approach will indeed yield a worst-case solution that’s proportional to N2. Demaine and his colleagues recognized that under some circumstances, a single sequence of twists could move multiple squares into their proper places, cutting down the total number of moves.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jun 2011 11:52 #2 by Grady
I figured out how to take it apart and put it back together correctly. My brain works that way.

29 Jun 2011 11:54 #3 by TPP
Grady, I did the same thing. then I just got close and puled the sticker off, and BINGO, DONE!

I think I got fed up with it and put a few "Black Cat" (fire crackers) in it and end of problem.

29 Jun 2011 12:02 #4 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Jun 2011 12:04 #5 by TPP

29 Jun 2011 12:04 #6 by Nobody that matters
I can solve them, but I didn't figure it out for myself. I read a book.

Here's how to really solve them for good... Peel off all the stickers. 6 black sides, solved no matter how you twist it around.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

30 Jun 2011 06:18 #7 by TPP

30 Jun 2011 08:36 #8 by The Viking
I use to be able to do it in under a minute all the time. Have no idea how anymore. And no I didn't peel off the stickers.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds