Teaching Styles- Split from Mars Men and Women Venus

22 May 2010 19:41 #11 by Rockdoc
Daunting to say the least. Further, being bound by a set curriculum and lesson plans make for canned and foster boring learning experiences. This is why I think schools need to become more global, so that learning styles and ability similarities can be grouped effectively, Current classrooms are a mixed bag of everything, hence the incredibly daunting.. no not daunting... impossible is more like it.. task of teaching effectively.

And 285 bound, making a split like you have is simply brilliant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 May 2010 19:44 #12 by Sunshine Girl
That is a great idea as well. I think if this subject was effectively taught to teachers, and they were taught how to implement it on a daily basis, you would see better results in school all around.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

22 May 2010 19:58 #13 by Rockdoc
Of course. It all comes down to getting students excited. Learning can be so much fun when the right conditions occur. Not only is it fun for the student, but the teacher as well. Think about those special moments when you "got through" to a particular student. The light went on and excitement abounds on both sides with the teach wanting to impart every bit of knowledge they can for fear of loosing that connection. This makes me realize that teachers are constantly seeking how to get through to students. Many times they are frustrated because they aren't successful or only marginally so. They see the potential, and fret over how to unlock it. Admonishing or telling a student they are lazy is not the way to go.

22 May 2010 20:14 #14 by freebird
I've learned quite a lot about life by learning from the mistakes of others. When I was a kid it saved me a few spankings. :biggrin:

Has anyone had the opportunity to take the Birkman test? Very interesting and spot on. I really embraced that testing method, poured through the feedback and became more empowered as a result. Of course one point it drives home is that everyone has ugly stress behaviors.

Now the Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus dvd was required watching for the two of us before we got married. If you haven't sat down and watched this with your SO/life-partner/spouse you really should just for the entertainment value. It amazes me how there can be such a basic difference in thinking.

I think I'll check out the link earlier in this thread. I enjoy this topic.

22 May 2010 20:18 #15 by Sunshine Girl
Hey beautiful thanks for the ride last weekend. Dinner was such a blast! Can't wait to go back there. It was wonderful having all the girls together again as well. Back on topic now..... :biggrin:

I will have to look at your link. I think the Mars and Venus thing would be great for Franz and I to do as well.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

22 May 2010 20:37 #16 by freebird
I enjoyed having your along for the ride. It was quite an experience!

I thought Ken and I were pretty similar in many ways...oh my gosh. It really pointed out some basic differences and we were both amazed at how the other had such a different understanding. I think the two of you would like it. I've got the dvd (or vhs, don't recall) here so I'll bring it to you the next time I see you. Contrary to the title, there are "venus" traits that many men have and the same about mars. It isn't that gender-tied.

22 May 2010 20:48 #17 by Sunshine Girl

freebird wrote: I enjoyed having your along for the ride. It was quite an experience! It always is when we all get together! :biggrin:

I thought Ken and I were pretty similar in many ways...oh my gosh. It really pointed out some basic differences and we were both amazed at how the other had such a different understanding. I think the two of you would like it. I've got the dvd (or vhs, don't recall) here so I'll bring it to you the next time I see you. Contrary to the title, there are "venus" traits that many men have and the same about mars. It isn't that gender-tied.

That sounds great! I can see us having quite a bit of the other trait.

23 May 2010 02:56 #18 by Rockdoc
I've read the book and found it fascinating. Problem is without constant reminders or practice, one tends to forget, a real shame. Looking forward to another review of the material.

24 May 2010 10:07 #19 by Rockdoc
I have joined a critical thinking forum and found myself in a situation where I'm intimidated by the way people express themselves. The active people on there are so profound I feel inadequate and am paralyzed by fear that my contributions are not worthy of consideration. So I have not said anything yet. That had me thinking about how language can shut down communication. If anyone is not self confident or has childhood issues about being seen but not heard, clamming up can be an issue. Thus its is important to make sure everyone understand that it is not how you say it that is so important, it is that you say something. Because what you have to say is most important.

24 May 2010 20:23 #20 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Teaching Styles- Split from Mars Men and Women Venus
Rockdoc. I don't think I am a critical thinker. I try.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds