Teaching Styles- Split from Mars Men and Women Venus

21 May 2010 04:45 #1 by Robynabc
http://eideneurolearningblog.blogspot.c ... ptual.html

Uh oh, that link describes me, I think. The reason I thought I think too much is because people tell me " you think too much" and I do think all the time. LOL. I drive some the people who care about me crazy sometimes. I am guessing some people call the concept in your link-ADHD. But I know many people that have 'ADHD', as they call it, and are brilliant. Not saying that describes me but I am thinking of some people that are successful in a creative way. Making people's traits into disorders is an issue to me. Especially in kids. This goes back my other comments on what girls and boys are told as children. To make kids feel that their personality is a disorder is way more subjective than most people think. It drives me crazy. So, yes I applied the 'you think too much' to myself. :)

Rockdoc, I relate and identify to it too.

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle.
But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best."
. Marilyn Monroe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 May 2010 05:54 #2 by Rockdoc
There is nothing to "Uh oh" about. Its simply how you think and that is that. Differences, whether in how one thinks, dresses, etc, are what make the world go round. I've not considered the ADHD link to high cognitive thinking before, but there may be overlap. OK, I've been diagnosed with a mild case of ADHD. It sounds like a disease and certainly my ex sought to moderate my behavior by encouraging me to take drugs. I refused to do so. It is not a disease, only a different way the brain is wired. Obviously this makes me not normal to some people's view, a view I do not share. What in the hell is normal anyway? As an adult, I can handle the pigeon holing. Telling kids they have a disorder is totally negative and misses the point entirely. There are other ways of handling this and disorders is not one of them.

You might find this link interesting. It certainly helped me understand my own thought processes better.

http://www.bertiekingore.com/high-gt-create.htm

The creative learner fits me to a T. I know from my train the trainer courses, that there are different ways of learning and each has a different approach needed. Hence, it stands to reason that how we handle and what demands we place on our kids benefits from learning more about how they think. Only with some understanding can we do do a better job of mentoring them and feeding the well that gets them to blossom.

21 May 2010 06:16 #3 by Robynabc
In my mind, this is where our schools are failing us. I think creative thinker describes me to a T also. My son is very good student he fits into the schools system very well. But my daughter and I learn differently and we did not learn as much from school as we did in other ways. As I have complained about many times, our school system does not gear learning towards these styles and if you dont' conform to their way of learning, guess what? You are labeled. And most times labeled as a dysfunctional learner. (learning disability) I truly believe every kid can learn and many that have been told have a learning disability are some of our brightest and best. Innovators are usually these kids And if we could get a little vision and use what science has taught us in the school system we would see amazing things from kids that have so much to offer the world. Encourage those fantastic ideas.......don't tell them that if you can't learn our way you are the problem. Okay, off my soapbox. I wonder what teachers think about this subject. Okay maybe a bit off topic. LOL

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, and at times hard to handle.
But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best."
. Marilyn Monroe

21 May 2010 08:08 #4 by Rockdoc
Ok, so it is off topic. I do not care one bit. It's all learning for me to hear other's perspectives. Perhaps because our learning styles are similar, we enjoy these exchanges?

What makes you think many teachers ever think about learning styles beyond what they had to take in college? That is a bit harsh, I know, but most do not strike me as active learners who search for new information. Rather, I see them doing a job, doing it well within the constraints of the job description. They care about kids, but fail to take it to another level.

I'm smiling just thinking about my own schooling. I certainly was not the brightest color in the box and recall learning about the open classroom system. I was enthralled with the idea of being able to progress at your own pace and concentrating on those subjects that burned in your mind. Timing in life can be everything. I was not even in High School when geology (rocks and minerals) captivated my interest. I bet I knew more at the age of 12 about rocks and minerals than I do now... may be a bit of an overstatement. It could have been a launching pad to all kinds of things like writing, math, chemistry physics, all as an outgrowth of moving ahead in geology. Timing would have made a huge difference, but it was not to be. Conventional classrooms were conventional, I often failed to see the purpose or use but tried to do the best I could. Education certainly needs to evolve beyond what it is today. Imagine the possibilities a century from now when learning styles are identified in children exceptional instructors teach to classrooms of like-minded kids throughout the world.

So what is the topic? LOL How about this issue?
If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear.

I have a terrible time fibbing when asked an opinion. If I can not say something positive, I tell my truth through silence that is equally condemning had I said what I thought. Lyrics of a song spring to mind. Shania Twain singing Any man of Mine

"When I have a bad hair day
And if I change my mind
A million times
I wanna hear him say
Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, yeah I like that way"

This is something i really need to work on. It just does not come naturally. I take it is a fundamental difference between men and women. I presume women are in tune with making one another feel better than a man who commonly fails in that consideration. I take it also the question asked is not asking for confirmation on something she already knows and is simply looking to be cheered up???

22 May 2010 11:51 #5 by Sunshine Girl

The Viking wrote: OK, I just realized that I need a Scotch or two before I try to decypher this thread!

Let's go! lol

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

22 May 2010 12:11 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Teaching Styles- Split from Mars Men and Women Venus
Rockdoc. That is my point on the teacher thing. Too many of the teacher types are running things. The people that are good at teaching are also trying to run things. These are two separate jobs and ways of thinking. I feel this is why they cannot change and implement new ways of teaching for the kids that learn in a different way. Of course they care. No one disputes that it is about effectiveness. I went through it with my two. I had one that did not fit in to the way they taught and one that did. And it wounded my one that did not fit in. The schools system, in a non direct way, made her feel stupid and she is one of the brightest kids around. I see them all the time. Look at the Entrepreneurs that dropped out of school. Some kids have a harder time getting past those messages if they don't have the support at home. And to get labeled on top of it. They don't say it directly but kids are perceptive. Those kids should have some flexibility and our schools are not finding ways to deal with it. They are falling through the cracks.

This thread may have to be split into a new topic. Not a problem.

Oh, former Robynabc here....

22 May 2010 12:59 #7 by Sunshine Girl
You are right Robyn. There are many ways in which people learn. I don't believe teachers are taught (I could be wrong here) to teach to all the 7 (I believe) styles in which people learn. Two of my kids have tested HIGHLY gifted year after year. They both are very different in how they learn. I, myself, am a combination of 3 styles of learning. In defense of teachers, teaching a lesson to cater to all the styles of how someone learns could be quite a daunting task to be sure. This is a fascinating subject!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

22 May 2010 13:02 #8 by Sunshine Girl
Here's an interesting link to the 7 Styles of Learning: http://www.lessontutor.com/sm1.html

22 May 2010 13:48 #9 by MyMountainTown
Our first split into a new topic...

This is the 'Mars Men and Women; Venus thread from Connection Junction that went a new direction. Schools and teaching styles. So we have split some posts into a new topic. This is how we will be handling off topic items.

285 Bound Staff

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285

22 May 2010 15:05 #10 by Sunshine Girl
:Thanks: :Grin: :thumbsup: :woo hoo:

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds