Would you buy Bear Proof garbage cans locally?

06 Jul 2011 14:33 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
We are interested in purchasing manufactured garbage cans that are bearproofed.

http://www.bearicuda.com/critter-can/be ... ge_can.php

We were thinking about buying a higher quantity and selling them locally. If we shipped a larger number, the shipping costs come down.

The price per can is $219 before shipping.The shipping costs are insane however. To ship ONE trashcan, the cost averages $200. So, to purchase a bearicuda, the cost is ~$400.

Would you be interested in purchasing one of these locally?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jul 2011 17:03 #2 by Sunshine Girl
I put $300-$350. We have one of those little dumpsters though. Great idea, but crazy shipping price!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

06 Jul 2011 17:21 #3 by Martin Ent Inc
rofllol

Did Brutus approve this as bear proof?

06 Jul 2011 17:35 #4 by Wily Fox aka Angela
They are made right... the problem we've had with ours is pulling up on the front corners.

06 Jul 2011 17:38 #5 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I think we are going to try to DIY ours. Our current system has worked, but this summer, a big boy pulled up the front corner and tore it open. Hubby has machine shop and welding equipment. We may just try to put the steel band around and steel and locks at front corners and see how that goes first.

07 Jul 2011 15:23 #6 by Lucky
I put my garbage out in the morning, not a big deal, when the bears are out. If I had to put it out the night before I might spend more to secure it. My neighbors always put it out the night before and end up once or twice a year cleaning up the mess. Get up by 7 once a week .

07 Jul 2011 16:44 - 07 Jul 2011 16:50 #7 by Wily Fox aka Angela
the bear ripped our can wide open 15 minutes after we put the cans out last week. We have steel inserts and carabiner locking system (see <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=139&...5&hilit=step+by+step " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=139&t=11745&hilit=step+by+step<!-- l -->) , but the bear has learned to pull up the front corner.

07 Jul 2011 16:48 #8 by Martin Ent Inc
They always sit and watch then when ya roll em out BAM, all over.

07 Jul 2011 16:52 #9 by Wily Fox aka Angela
yeah.... and the kicker is they usually don't get here before 1:30, but they have come in morning a couple of times. They won't come back if you don't have your trash out by 7, so we have to put it out. They are locked, but it only takes once.

14 Mar 2012 11:00 #10 by lydian82
Our garbage can was torn today, carried clear across into neighbors and what a mess!!!!

Unsure about bear proof garbage cans. A friend sent me this link.

http://www.thegrowlercan.com/?gclid=CLO ... NAodu1NfaQ

Thoughts?

This is the second time in a span of seven years. Is it worth it to buy a can that is worth a couple hundred dollars, really?

Did you ever go ahead with your plan?

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds