Some supermarkets getting rid of self-checkout

09 Jul 2011 16:40 - 09 Jul 2011 17:46 #2 by otisptoadwater
Personally I like the self checkout, I can get what I need in one pass through the store and checkout on my own instead of waiting in line. I find it frustrating when all the self checkout stations are full of people who can't follow the simple prompts on the touch screen and need a clerk to come and help them. That said, I occasionally manage to pick up an item that won't scan or rings up an incorrect price, then I have to get a clerk to help me.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jul 2011 17:29 #3 by chickaree
Good. I hate the thing.

09 Jul 2011 18:09 #4 by jf1acai
Since I very rarely purchase a few items at a time, I prefer the full service checkout. If I got a 10 - 25% discount for self service, I might use it.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

09 Jul 2011 18:27 #5 by LOL
I'd be surprised if they got rid of all of them. Once you get used to them they work fine for a few items.
I do like the express lanes at KS and like to chat with the nice ladies. KS has very good checkouts and very friendly compared to big city stores.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

09 Jul 2011 18:45 #6 by jf1acai
The checkout personnel at my 'not quite big city' (Golden) KS are also friendly and helpful. :)

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

10 Jul 2011 09:53 #7 by ComputerBreath
It took me a long time to even try the self-checkout...and then I only started using it when I was with a co-worker and he used it.

I will not use Self-Checkout for vegetables or fruit...it takes just as long to find the code and enter it correctly as it does to go into the express lane and have someone else enter the codes.

10 Jul 2011 10:25 #8 by LOL
Agree on the veggies and fruits, why hasn't someone come up with something better, like maybe a stick-on bar code that you could scan with or a number to key in.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

10 Jul 2011 17:20 #9 by 2wlady
Some of the fruit and veggies have stickers with the codes on them. Probably too much time and expense to figure out bar codes for all that stuff coming from who knows where. Just my thought.

10 Jul 2011 18:13 #10 by Rockdoc
Self check out provides the speed I desire. The only thing I find frustrating is having to put the item into the bag before it lets you scan the next item. That slows me down. Veggies and fruits or baked goods are not a problem. After a while you remember the codes or simply look at the tiny print listing the code on each of those items or back of bag in the case of baked goods.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds