Copper in the water Conifer

10 Jul 2011 22:52 #11 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Copper in the water Conifer

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: We suspected the same thing, but here is what we have found at our place. We test ourselves. Copper test kits are easy to get and use. (main use is for aquarium testing).

The water is very acidic here, comes out of ground at about 6.2. We have copper pipes. The water that sits in the pipes eats at the copper a bit and the water that first comes out contains copper. If we allow the water to run for a minute, then test, the copper levels are almost gone.

We have been looking at systems that raise PH, but they are not cheap.

for example
http://www.reopure.com/acidicwater.html

Our well is about 20 feet deep and almost 10 feet across (the neck is about 2 feet across). What I just thought of that we have not done is pull some water directly out of well before it enters pipes and test it. I'll see if we can get that done this week. We have customers flying in for the next 3 days, so it will have to be after that.

When we fill our spa, first thing we do, is to get alkalinity UP and PH UP to normal ranges. After that, the spa sits nicely in within range.

Frankly you do not need an expensive system. If you can rig up the plumbing so that it passes water through a canister (screw top) into which you can put limestone you can reduce the ph.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jul 2011 00:41 #12 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Copper in the water Conifer

Science Chic wrote: I didn't save any of them after I moved out of King's Valley, but we used to get yearly water testing reports from our water supplier (it's a unique area in that there's "community" water and sewer). I don't remember copper being a problem (uranium and a couple other ions did were though), but every area will be slightly different because of what's in the ground filtering the water (please correct me if I'm wrong Rockdoc). If I were you Scooby, I'd see if I could get a copy of any water reports for the area you are moving into, or test yourself as Wily does. You only need to worry if any ions are outside of their recommended safe range and which ions they are as each has a different toxicity.

Info on copper: http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissi ... -ehp-9.pdf

Yes, the rocks do filter, but it's the rock-water interactions (Dissolution and precipitation) that give the water its trace elemental composition.

11 Jul 2011 08:02 #13 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Copper in the water Conifer

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: The water is very acidic here,

I don't get it what does the religion of the water have to do with anything?

11 Jul 2011 08:07 #14 by Wayne Harrison

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: Our well is about 20 feet deep and almost 10 feet across (the neck is about 2 feet across).

At that shallow of a depth I'd seriously be worried about coliform (fecal) bacteria from septic systems, not about metals in the water.

http://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/ ... cteria.htm

11 Jul 2011 09:34 #15 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Copper in the water Conifer
O come that was funny.

11 Jul 2011 10:15 #16 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Copper in the water Conifer

Science Chic wrote: I didn't save any of them after I moved out of King's Valley, but we used to get yearly water testing reports from our water supplier (it's a unique area in that there's "community" water and sewer). I don't remember copper being a problem (uranium and a couple other ions did were though), but every area will be slightly different because of what's in the ground filtering the water (please correct me if I'm wrong Rockdoc). If I were you Scooby, I'd see if I could get a copy of any water reports for the area you are moving into, or test yourself as Wily does. You only need to worry if any ions are outside of their recommended safe range and which ions they are as each has a different toxicity.

Info on copper: http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissi ... -ehp-9.pdf

Still in KV, copper is not an issue here, uranium and a couple of other nucular material are. One of the advantages of a community water system is that we have multiple wells to draw from to mitigate nuclear material. Also it should be noted that a community water system is held to very high standards both in repoting and what they have to report. A big plus is that this summer we are starting on a new water treatment plant that will remove any harmful agents including nuclear. We will have the cleanest water in Colorado. :biggrin:

11 Jul 2011 10:19 #17 by Martin Ent Inc
So that is where the KV people get their GLOW.

11 Jul 2011 16:04 #18 by deltamrey
Yearly tests are a good idea - ask for radium and uranium especially here.

11 Jul 2011 18:15 #19 by Wily Fox aka Angela

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: We suspected the same thing, but here is what we have found at our place. We test ourselves. Copper test kits are easy to get and use. (main use is for aquarium testing).

The water is very acidic here, comes out of ground at about 6.2. We have copper pipes. The water that sits in the pipes eats at the copper a bit and the water that first comes out contains copper. If we allow the water to run for a minute, then test, the copper levels are almost gone.

We have been looking at systems that raise PH, but they are not cheap.

for example
http://www.reopure.com/acidicwater.html

Our well is about 20 feet deep and almost 10 feet across (the neck is about 2 feet across). What I just thought of that we have not done is pull some water directly out of well before it enters pipes and test it. I'll see if we can get that done this week. We have customers flying in for the next 3 days, so it will have to be after that.

When we fill our spa, first thing we do, is to get alkalinity UP and PH UP to normal ranges. After that, the spa sits nicely in within range.

Frankly you do not need an expensive system. If you can rig up the plumbing so that it passes water through a canister (screw top) into which you can put limestone you can reduce the ph.

hmmmm..... I used to put crushed coral in the fish tank to raise the ph...I'll pass along to the Rogernator...(and I know you meant RAISE the ph) THANKS!

notice that I mentioned the SPA AGAIN?!?!??! hee hee heee

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds