Copper in the water Conifer

09 Jul 2011 21:14 #1 by Scooby72
I live up in Bailey so hadn't really known about this, but we'll be moving to Conifer soon. I've heard that a lot of neighborhoods in Conifer have copper in the water, and people buy water. Can anyone enlighten me on this or direct me to a site with more info?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jul 2011 23:17 #2 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Copper in the water Conifer
Given that the water comes from pores in rocks that have lots of metals associated with them, you can expect to find concentrations of it in most wells of the Front Range. I've not heard of elevated copper levels in Conifer water, but then I've not researched it either. Someone who may well be able to answer your questions (probably for a fee) is a company with a lab in Littleton as seen in the link below
http://www.coloradolab.com/contactus.html

Another source is Geowater Services in evergreen
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/ ... 3-670-3348

Lut us know what you discover.

10 Jul 2011 07:36 #3 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic Copper in the water Conifer
I can't imagine Conifer water is much different than Bailey water.

10 Jul 2011 08:09 #4 by HEARTLESS
Considering most domestic water is run with copper pipe and tubing, I don't see the problem. Its not a heavy metal and probably not harmful in anything below extreme concentrations.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

10 Jul 2011 08:15 #5 by HappyCamper
We lived on Conifer Mountain for 10 years and while we did not have a high copper level our water was very acidic so when you first turned the faucets on if the water had been setting in the pipes for a bit it did taste like a penny.

We would let the water run for a bit before using it for drinking or cooking.

I worked for an environmental lab at the time and we did have it tested for metals and other nasty stuff. All levels of came back in the proper range for drinking water.

If you are worried I would have the water tested, the water test an inspector does is for Coliforms not metals. You will need to get sample cup for a good company that contains a little bit of acid in the bottle The acid preserves the level of items in the water at the time the sample was taken.

Another sample without acid will need to be taken for things like your PH, alkalinity, Coliforms etc.

10 Jul 2011 08:38 #6 by Martin Ent Inc

Grady wrote: I can't imagine Conifer water is much different than Bailey water.

just a few miles makes alot of difference in mtn. water.

10 Jul 2011 09:00 #7 by Lonewolf Field Services HVAC
Depth of the well makes a huge difference in the quality of the water, especially during spring run off. The deeper the better.

10 Jul 2011 09:46 #8 by Wily Fox aka Angela
We suspected the same thing, but here is what we have found at our place. We test ourselves. Copper test kits are easy to get and use. (main use is for aquarium testing).

The water is very acidic here, comes out of ground at about 6.2. We have copper pipes. The water that sits in the pipes eats at the copper a bit and the water that first comes out contains copper. If we allow the water to run for a minute, then test, the copper levels are almost gone.

We have been looking at systems that raise PH, but they are not cheap.

for example
http://www.reopure.com/acidicwater.html

Our well is about 20 feet deep and almost 10 feet across (the neck is about 2 feet across). What I just thought of that we have not done is pull some water directly out of well before it enters pipes and test it. I'll see if we can get that done this week. We have customers flying in for the next 3 days, so it will have to be after that.

When we fill our spa, first thing we do, is to get alkalinity UP and PH UP to normal ranges. After that, the spa sits nicely in within range.

10 Jul 2011 20:18 #9 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Copper in the water Conifer

bootlegger wrote: Depth of the well makes a huge difference in the quality of the water, especially during spring run off. The deeper the better.

For filtering of run off and water quality, yes. But, not necessarily for the better. For heavy metals NO. Water becomes more saline with depth. Deep wells, give water a fare greater volume of rock with which to interact, hence almost all deep wells will have higher concentrations of metals than do shallow wells.

10 Jul 2011 21:08 #10 by ScienceChic
I didn't save any of them after I moved out of King's Valley, but we used to get yearly water testing reports from our water supplier (it's a unique area in that there's "community" water and sewer). I don't remember copper being a problem (uranium and a couple other ions did were though), but every area will be slightly different because of what's in the ground filtering the water (please correct me if I'm wrong Rockdoc). If I were you Scooby, I'd see if I could get a copy of any water reports for the area you are moving into, or test yourself as Wily does. You only need to worry if any ions are outside of their recommended safe range and which ions they are as each has a different toxicity.

Info on copper: http://des.nh.gov/organization/commissi ... -ehp-9.pdf

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds