The Saga of my awning with the weather this summer

14 Jul 2011 14:25 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
well, I must tell the story of my awning. I sewed a massive awning for our back deck this year. final measurements 15' x 25'. Took 7 sections of Sunbrella fabric, 15 feet long and sewed together using a "full flat felled seam" that makes for waterproof seams.

This is designed to be "portable" and only up during NON SNOW MONTHS.

My first attempt did not reinforce the edges enough and I put in tiny grommets. The first big wind ripped it right off the house.

I used thin webbing and tiny grommets

First attempt - see how much slack there is?

After consulting with actual sail makers at sailrite.com, I added nylon webbing in the edges and used bigger grommets that have spurs and added dacron in corners with two additional layers of sunbrella for strength and added deep hollows in sides of awning to pull it tight. I also added 2x4's attached to house at every stud and then mounted the hooks for the grommets (before hooks were just screwed into siding). My new motto "if it's worth doing, it's worth OVER doing"

see the hollows in the sides? see how much tighter it is pulled?

reinforced corners

new spurred grommets with fabric folded over 3 times with strong nylon webbing INSIDE the hem (protect it from sun)

check it out in the high winds we've had

[youtube:26fbrgo1]
[/youtube:26fbrgo1]

It is waterproof and has shown that it is holding up well to hail, winds and hard rains. It hooks onto house and the front hooks onto spreader bars that are attached by cable to stakes in the hillside above the backyard. So far, I am very pleased!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jul 2011 14:28 #2 by ScienceChic
Awesome work Wily!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Jul 2011 14:30 #3 by HEARTLESS
Nice work handy lady.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

14 Jul 2011 14:39 #4 by Wily Fox aka Angela
and it sounds WONDERFUL out there in the rain, like being in a tent. I have a table with a propane fireplace in it, so turn that on, climb in the hammock under a soft blankie and enjoy. Last time I was out there, a great horned owl swooped out of the trees and through the backyard about 6 feet off the ground with a couple of evening grossbeaks chasing it. Now, that's living, in my book.

14 Jul 2011 15:50 #5 by Grady

16 Jul 2011 16:39 #6 by Mtn Gramma
I'm impressed that your sewing machine matched the material . . . :woo hoo:

16 Jul 2011 19:52 #7 by Wily Fox aka Angela
hee hee heee.... that was a simple coincidence, but I am very partial to orange

16 Jul 2011 20:08 #8 by jf1acai
Great work! :thumbsup: :like:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

17 Jul 2011 07:16 #9 by RivendaleFarms
I am still of the opinion that after all that went into this awning (and she's only given us the Reader's Digest version here), it is now a sentient being and deserves and name. I suggest Baloo or Yogi, since it was a bear to get done and will hibernate in the winter.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

17 Jul 2011 08:14 #10 by The 500 Foundation
Thats our Ang for you
her massive projects have inspired me into all kinds of trouble

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds