another bear killed because of stupid humans - grrrrrrrrrrrr

16 Jul 2011 15:42 #11 by The Viking

HappyCamper wrote: Really, you are mad that they killed the bear after it attacked a sleeping boy...

I will have to say I am a huge animal lover but if the kid was asleep how could he provoke the bear. The hair gel comment at least in my mind is stupid. Maybe it was the insect repellent he was wearing or the soap he washed his hands with who cares.

First off I have no kids but if I did like the above poster said I would have shot it. I have lived in Colorado all my life and in the mountains for to many to count and should an animal attack me or mine human or not I would have no problem shooting them.

I enjoy nothing more than when I get to see some of these big predators come through my yard and or when I am out camping but an unprovoked is exactly that.

Yes, humans may of made this bear less scared to be around us as we leave food out and the sorts but we are all to blame for that should we all move back to town now and leave the wilderness 100% wild and let no one in?

The fact is that animal encounters are going to happen, if you are out in the woods and see people doing wrong educate them. They might not listen but at least you gave it a try.

I am not one for telling a fib but I will say that a few times we saw people leaving crap all over their camping area. Unless they got their before us I have now problem telling them a little white lie saying that a bear had come through the camp the night/day before.

Most time they say oh my god really and the start putting things away in proper places.

I guess that would be why I am still a "HappyCamper" I believe there is good in everyone and that many people just forget when they come to the mountains.

Ok, rant done.

:goodpost:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jul 2011 15:56 #12 by Wily Fox aka Angela
and oh yeah, I blame the camp grounds, too... if they don't enforce and provide appropriate food storage resources in bear country, they should be closed

16 Jul 2011 15:57 #13 by appleannie

Really, you are mad that they killed the bear after it attacked a sleeping boy...

I will have to say I am a huge animal lover but if the kid was asleep how could he provoke the bear. The hair gel comment at least in my mind is stupid. Maybe it was the insect repellent he was wearing or the soap he washed his hands with who cares.

I'm unclear here - are you really so dumb as to not understand that bears are attracted by scents and that if you wear them (or have food in or around your tent), you are luring them to you? Might as well slather yourself in bacon grease and be done with it.

16 Jul 2011 16:00 #14 by archer

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: did you READ the story???? it said the bear was attracted to FOOD IN THE ICE CHEST. Stupid humans camping in bear country

yes...I did read the story....and yes, there were stupid humans there....humans are often stupid. Death or mauling by a bear is hardly a fit punishment for being stupid. I rather doubt we will ever breed stupidity out of the human race......and I am not in favor of an intelligence test for camping in the woods......where would the conservatives go on vacation?????

sorry.....I just couldn't resist that......I'll slap my hand over that one.

16 Jul 2011 16:04 #15 by archer
I was surprised when we camped in Alaska....there were signs everywhere not to feed the bears....not to leave food out, not to go outside after dark........but the garbage containers there were about as bear proof as an ice chest....my little dog could have gotten into them. Is the total responsibility on the campers....or also on the park/campground to have adequate bear proof containers for trash and to have information for the not so bear smart campers? If you are in the wilderness, you are on your own and should know what you are doing.

16 Jul 2011 16:07 #16 by Wily Fox aka Angela

archer wrote:

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: did you READ the story???? it said the bear was attracted to FOOD IN THE ICE CHEST. Stupid humans camping in bear country

yes...I did read the story....and yes, there were stupid humans there....humans are often stupid. Death or mauling by a bear is hardly a fit punishment for being stupid. I rather doubt we will ever breed stupidity out of the human race......and I am not in favor of an intelligence test for camping in the woods......where would the conservatives go on vacation?????

the kid was not MAULED...and he is just fine... the bear? killed

16 Jul 2011 16:11 #17 by archer
sheesh....I wasn't referring necessarily to that specific kid, but to bear attacks in general...Not sure what you are arguing here.... if the kid is only bitten by a bear, that's ok? And if he is mauled or killed....what then? Once a bear has attacked a human, for what ever reason, that bear is usually put down.....that is protection for other humans who will be camping in the bears area. I guess I'm just one of those who thinks human life trumps wild life.

16 Jul 2011 16:12 #18 by The Viking

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote:

archer wrote:

the kid was not MAULED...and he is just fine... the bear? killed

Still haven't heard an answer to my earlier question. Do you get as outraged when thousands of deer and elk are killed by Stupid Human drivers every year? Or are bears a more important animal?

16 Jul 2011 16:13 #19 by The Viking

archer wrote: sheesh....I wasn't referring necessarily to that specific kid, but to bear attacks in general...Not sure what you are arguing here.... if the kid is only bitten by a bear, that's ok? And if he is mauled or killed....what then? Once a bear has attacked a human, for what ever reason, that bear is usually put down.....that is protection for other humans who will be camping in the bears area. I guess I'm just one of those who thinks human life trumps wild life.

Agreeing with you twice in one day? :VeryScared: I need a drink! :shots: :Drunk: :Drunk: :frienddrink: :party :drunk: :Drunk:

16 Jul 2011 16:17 #20 by archer

The Viking wrote:

archer wrote: sheesh....I wasn't referring necessarily to that specific kid, but to bear attacks in general...Not sure what you are arguing here.... if the kid is only bitten by a bear, that's ok? And if he is mauled or killed....what then? Once a bear has attacked a human, for what ever reason, that bear is usually put down.....that is protection for other humans who will be camping in the bears area. I guess I'm just one of those who thinks human life trumps wild life.

Agreeing with you twice in one day? :VeryScared: I need a drink! :shots: :Drunk: :Drunk: :frienddrink: :party :drunk: :Drunk:

a couple more of those drinks and you'll forget this ever happened

:wink:

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds