another bear killed because of stupid humans - grrrrrrrrrrrr

16 Jul 2011 16:18 #21 by HappyCamper
I did read the story and watched it on 9 news and it was the hair gel thing that set me off on my rant.

As far as insect repellent I am bear bait as anything the flys and bites wants to eat me and I am more afraid of them than a bear.

When I camp I keep the area clean of food and stuff but I do brush my teeth, wear deodorant (lord know many of my fellow campers don't and after 3 days look out) bug spray, wash with soap so I am just as much to blame as others if these items attact bears. I would have to say that these items are not the big draw for a bear more food/trash.

Shame on those who organized this event for not educating those folks attending it.

I would go as far as saying I think people who are not in their camp should get a ticket for leaving items food out.

Most campgrounds have a camp host and this should be a part of their duties.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jul 2011 16:20 #22 by The Viking

archer wrote:

The Viking wrote:

archer wrote: sheesh....I wasn't referring necessarily to that specific kid, but to bear attacks in general...Not sure what you are arguing here.... if the kid is only bitten by a bear, that's ok? And if he is mauled or killed....what then? Once a bear has attacked a human, for what ever reason, that bear is usually put down.....that is protection for other humans who will be camping in the bears area. I guess I'm just one of those who thinks human life trumps wild life.

Agreeing with you twice in one day? :VeryScared: I need a drink! :shots: :Drunk: :Drunk: :frienddrink: :party :drunk: :Drunk:

a couple more of those drinks and you'll forget this ever happened

:wink:

I know, and....... wait what were we talking about?

16 Jul 2011 16:23 #23 by The Viking

HappyCamper wrote: I did read the story and watched it on 9 news and it was the hair gel thing that set me off on my rant.

As far as insect repellent I am bear bait as anything the flys and bites wants to eat me and I am more afraid of them than a bear.

When I camp I keep the area clean of food and stuff but I do brush my teeth, wear deodorant (lord know many of my fellow campers don't and after 3 days look out) bug spray, wash with soap so I am just as much to blame as others if these items attact bears. I would have to say that these items are not the big draw for a bear more food/trash.

Shame on those who organized this event for not educating those folks attending it.

I would go as far as saying I think people who are not in their camp should get a ticket for leaving items food out.

Most campgrounds have a camp host and this should be a part of their duties.

Agreed. It is so simple to take a rope and tie it up on a branch a ways from camp with a bear bell on it. But millions of people go camping each year and many it is their first time and no one is totally educated on everything that they do before they do it.

16 Jul 2011 16:34 #24 by Local_Historian
OK - so people were stupid and left a cooler out in the open, and the bear looted it. Here's a unique fact - bears - lots of bears - do this every year WITHOUT then going after a human. LOTS of bears do this every year WITHOUT going after a sleeping human that is posing no threat and is not near the original food source.

So I put a trash can out once a week - I guess I should be expecting to be mauled by a bear as I go out to my car by this logic that the kid was asking for it.

There was clearly something off with this bear - this was NOT normal bear behavior. You'd lock up humans, maybe even shoot one, who attack and maim others with no provacation (and there was NO provacation here, no matter what you want to say about a cooler in an open area not near the tent) but it's ok if a wild animal does it. Something is off with this logic.

16 Jul 2011 16:35 #25 by Martin Ent Inc
There are too many bears,,, and then there are too many humans.
Make a choice.
Get rid of alot of humans or get rid of bears.

Mainly people should just stay home and watch NAT geo, if they want to connect with nature.

16 Jul 2011 16:39 #26 by Local_Historian
I'm all for getting rid of some more humans...

16 Jul 2011 17:17 #27 by The Viking

Local_Historian wrote: OK - so people were stupid and left a cooler out in the open, and the bear looted it. Here's a unique fact - bears - lots of bears - do this every year WITHOUT then going after a human. LOTS of bears do this every year WITHOUT going after a sleeping human that is posing no threat and is not near the original food source.

So I put a trash can out once a week - I guess I should be expecting to be mauled by a bear as I go out to my car by this logic that the kid was asking for it.

There was clearly something off with this bear - this was NOT normal bear behavior. You'd lock up humans, maybe even shoot one, who attack and maim others with no provacation (and there was NO provacation here, no matter what you want to say about a cooler in an open area not near the tent) but it's ok if a wild animal does it. Something is off with this logic.

:yeahthat: Agreed!......but maybe he had peanut butter in his hair?

16 Jul 2011 21:23 #28 by Local_Historian
So the bear bit his foot?? Huh??

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds