Are You Smarter Than a 12th-Grader?

25 Jul 2011 16:24 #1 by ScienceChic
Care to try them yourself? :)

http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/ ... 2th-grader
Are You Smarter Than a 12th-Grader?
— By Kevin Drum
| Tue Jul. 19, 2011

The latest National Assessment of Educational Progress results in geography were released today. So how did the youth of America do? You know the drill:

Geography Report Card Finds Students Lagging

Roger that. But with the pro forma wailing out of the way, how did our kids really do? Answer: Fourth-graders did better than in the past and 8th- and 12th-graders did about the same. But I gotta tell you: I went through the five sample questions for 12th-graders, and they were pretty damn hard. This was not "identify France on a map" stuff.

After I went through the samples, I checked out a wider variety of questions from the latest test, and they want you to identify continents by cross section, explain why Amazon deforestation is bad, understand how the Great Lakes were formed, pick out the probable result of poor irrigation practices, explain why Libya and Australia have a population density of six people per square mile, and then my favorite of all: "You are forming a United Nations committee to study the world crisis of desertification and what to do about it.

You know what? I'm a pretty smart guy, and I read a lot and I keep up with things better than most people, but this was tough stuff. So I'm not really sure what to make of all this. People will read the headlines about these scores and think that kids can't read a map. And maybe they can't. But that's not what's being tested.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jul 2011 16:38 #2 by chickaree
I know I'm not smarter than a 12th grader. Calculus leaves me scratching my head!

25 Jul 2011 17:00 #3 by archer
woopie....I'm smarter than a 12th grader......well at least on the test questions. I do, however, think I was book smarter in 12th grade than I am now....but I am street smarter now

:wink:

26 Jul 2011 08:16 #4 by Sunshine Girl
Me? I doubt it! :biggrin:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds