Rotten coverage w/AT&T? 3G-Microcell FINALLY announced!

22 Jun 2010 15:40 #1 by LadyJazzer
I started this thread about 2 years ago on P.C. when I found out that AT&T was beta-testing their 3G-Microcell product in a few test areas on the Eastern coast. 18 months later it was still: "We're still testing it." I put myself on the wait-list for notification, and 1 minute ago I got the email that it's generally available in Colorado, and specifically in the Conifer/Bailey area. It's a way to have your own "cell phone tower" in your home if you have DSL... It allows the cellphone to piggyback on the DSL service and give you good coverage for up to 5000' in all directions.

I haven't spent any time digging into the cost/monthly charges. Last I heard, unlike some of the services which provide the hardware for free, I think AT&T is making you buy your own hardware, and then charging a monthly usage fee...

In any case, if you have as much of a problem as I do with iPhone and other 3G phone reception, here is a solution. Here is the link they sent me for more info:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3 ... 00003GMveE

Have fun...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jun 2010 15:52 #2 by ScienceChic
Thanks LJ! I wonder if it'll work with the new 4G iPhone? Nothing mentioned on AT&T's site so I'll ask on Thursday when I go to the store.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Jun 2010 15:52 #3 by The Viking
Yes, Verizon is trying to sell me the same thing since I get very poor coverage at my house. I think with them there is no monthly extra fee. But thanks for the link and the info.

22 Jun 2010 16:14 #4 by CC
That is very good news. Thx LJ. Think I will give Verizon I try on it.

23 Jun 2010 06:43 - 30 Dec 2010 05:46 #5 by Tabasco

23 Jun 2010 08:32 #6 by Wayne Harrison
I have AT&T and and iPhone 3G and have never had poor reception. We even dropped our land line because it was never used and we have great reception at our house.

23 Jun 2010 09:20 #7 by CinnamonGirl
I think Verizon works better up there from my perspective on who I talk to. I have had verizon for 14 years.

23 Jun 2010 09:55 #8 by Grady

The Viking wrote: Yes, Verizon is trying to sell me the same thing since I get very poor coverage at my house. I think with them there is no monthly extra fee. But thanks for the link and the info.

I think I'm just up the hill from you and I get pretty good Verizon reception with Verizon. FYI if I bring up "My Location" on Google maps on my phone it has me in Pine until it finds the GPS satellites. Once the GPS kicks in it finds me right where it belongs. That tells me that from my location the most usable tower is the one that is down near Pine.

LJ, does this micro cell only work on your authorized phones or would anybody with AT&T service be able to jump on the network.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds