Firefighters place memorial on 285 for struck comrade

05 Aug 2011 16:16 #1 by ScienceChic

In memorandum of firefighter, William “Billy” Carr of Florida, Chaffee County Emergency Services, Chaffee County Fire Department and some of Carr’s comrades met Thursday to honor him. From left are Charlie Blake, Chad Angle, Bob Meyer, William Plackner, Kent Maxwell, Deb Rittinghouse, John Leck, Jim Wingert, John Kelly, Brian Seidman, Tom Cafone and Tony Mills. Photo by Cailey McDermott

http://www.themountainmail.com/main.asp ... leID=23158
Firefighters place memorial for lightning struck comrade
by Cailey McDermott
8/5/2011 10:58:00 AM

In memory of William "Billy" Carr of Florida, Chaffee County firefighters and emergency services personnel met with comrades of Carr Thursday to place a cross beside U.S. 285 at Centerville.

As a tradition, Carr and his fellow firefighters would take motorcycle trips to different places throughout the country. On one such, the group was bound for the Fallen Firefighter Memorial in Colorado Springs June 15, 2010, when Carr was struck by a bolt of lightening and died in Centerville. He was 54.

Deb Rittinghouse, Florida firefighter and union officer, said Carr was an organ donor. She said Chaffee County Emergency Services couldn't save Carr, but "because of the work they did in the field, (Carr) was able to save lives of others."

Kelly said, true to departmental tradition, some firefighters took a motorcycle trip to Tennessee earlier this summer in memory of Carr - their friend and comrade.

On a side note, if you haven't signed up to be an organ and tissue donor, please consider doing so. I know it's an uneasy decision to make (I have and I am), but so much good can come of it! Thank you!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Aug 2011 19:14 #2 by Wayne Harrison
Waiting for someone on the right to take issue with your use of the word "comrade."

I remember this story. The victim was struck by lightning while riding a motorcycle down the highway. Scary.

05 Aug 2011 20:08 #3 by CC
Why would anyone on the right have a problem with the word "comrade"

05 Aug 2011 21:46 #4 by Wayne Harrison
It was associated with the Soviet Union and communist party.

05 Aug 2011 21:50 #5 by CC

06 Aug 2011 10:05 #6 by AlpineMike

WayneH wrote: Waiting for someone on the right to take issue with your use of the word "comrade."

:Off Topic

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds