Sunday Bike Race on Hwy 285 - when and where to avoid

19 Aug 2011 10:23 #1 by ScienceChic
While I was driving up the hill yesterday, I saw a sign that suggested taking an alternate route for Sunday's bike route. I wondered if I needed to take I70 through Evergreen or if I could cut over sooner and what times would be good to avoid 285 - here's some info in case you were wondering the same:

http://deercreekchallenge.com/
Schedule
RIDE DAY - SUNDAY, AUGUST 21, 2011

5:45 - 7:00 am:
100-mile riders begin. This is the earliest you can start to ride because we need to make certain all of the volunteers, State Patrol, Jefferson County Sheriff, aid stations and emergency personnel are in-place. It will still be twilight if you start at this time – be certain to come prepared with reflective clothing. Century riders MUST depart no earlier than 5:45 am and no later than 7 am.

8:30 - 9:30 am: 62-mile riders begin. You MUST start the ride within the designated window for your course.

9:30 - 10:00 am: 33-mile riders begin. You MUST start the ride within the designated window for your course.

1:45 pm: 100-mile riders must reach Waypoint #1 by this time to continue on the ride.

4:30 pm:100-mile riders must reach Waypoint #2 by this time to continue on the ride.

11:00 am - 6:30 pm: PARTY TIME! Barbecue, music and free beer

WAYPOINT DEADLINES

For your safety, achieve each location by a certain time of day so we can insure you get back to the finish line while it is still light out and the course is still fully supported by our volunteers and emergency personnel. You must reach each point by the listed time in order to continue on the ride.

Waypoint #1: North Turkey Creek and Highway 73
Century riders must reach this point by 1:45 PM
This location is 53.3 miles into the course and just past Aid Station #6 at Marshdale Elementary School

Waypoint #2: South Turkey Creek and Deer Creek Canyon. (3rd time)
Century riders must reach this point by 4:30 PM
This location is 82 miles into the course at the Intercanyon Fire Station before doing City View a 2nd time.

[url=file:///Users/Sharon/Downloads/Master_Course_072911.pdf]Map[/url]

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Aug 2011 10:30 #2 by pacamom
You should be ok on Hwy 285. The riders will not be crossing the hwy, they will be going under it. They will be riding on the shoulder from Parmalee Gulch to N. Turkey Creek, but there will be cones along the way to keep them separated from the traffic.

A few of us are volunteering at Waypoint #2. Let's hope everyone stays safe during this ride. It should be a fun day.

22 Aug 2011 08:07 #3 by FredHayek
I was coming down the hill on 285 when the bikers were going up and had no issues at all. Very professional job. Thanks,

Imagine if NASCAR did their races like bike tours, 500 miles of driving around Colorado at 150MPH in one afternoon.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Aug 2011 08:26 - 04 Jun 2013 20:21 #4 by pacamom
Some happy bikers

22 Aug 2011 09:27 #5 by ScienceChic
Love it! Thanks for the pics pacamom!!

Maybe I'll get my hubby to do it next year! ;)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Aug 2011 09:29 #6 by Wily Fox aka Angela
nice pics and she is 68?!?!?! niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeee going!

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds