Credit Reports - FREE (really) ANNUAL REPORTS

31 Aug 2011 13:18 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Most of you should know that we are all able to obtain FREE credit reports from the three main reporting agencies each year (law passed in 2003). The problem are all those sites that come up in your Google search that say "FREE CREDIT REPORTS" but there are usually catches, like signing up for some "free" trial period and handing over your credit card number.

There is only ONE SITE that the government refers you to from the FDIC web site ( http://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/ ... facta.html ) and that is

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index

You can get your credit reports instantly and can print them out. Transunion will try to get you to believe you can get your credit score (the actual number) for free by clicking on a link on your report results, but that is a gimmick and you have to sign up for a "free trial". I only found that Equifax allowed me to save report as a PDF.

It is a very smart idea to review these each year for accuracy. It is even more important in these times of economic stress where creditors will scrutinize even more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Aug 2011 15:49 #2 by rlcarolyn
We use that site in our Credit Education program. It's a great resource and if you can't get it online there will be a way to get your credit report sent to your home via mail.

also if you would like the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) document and the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collections Act) manuals. They are very informative and helpful with laws protecting you from illegal practices. They are also located on the FTC website. If you can't find it pm me and I will send you a copy. Colorado also has their own FCRA (most states have their own, which must be followed), do a Google search and you will find the site for the docs. or again pm me and I will send them to you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds