71 year old Self-Medicator

02 Sep 2011 06:44 #1 by CinnamonGirl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Sep 2011 13:35 #2 by RCCL
Replied by RCCL on topic 71 year old Self-Medicator
I realize this is just a blurb... but I do wonder what her family and friends would say if given the chance... I mean, here's my thoughts:

A lot of drugs, in varying degrees, can take away pain. Alcohol can do the same, and all legal drugs, in my mind, have the inherent possibility of abuse. Most people are reactionary to responses, and drugs provide mostly positive benefits short-term, which can be very attractive to our culture.

Now, from her story, it sounds like this is helping her medically. I'm neither for or against medicinal use of drugs. If it works, and is prescribed by a practicing doctor, I don't see any difference between that, and prescription drugs, but here's my beef:

Ask someone who considers themself a "functioning alcoholic" whether or not they believe they have a drinking problem, and they'll jump up to argue that the are functional, perhaps even better, drinking or drunk. I can tell you this from personal experience, becuase I had the displeasure of firing a self-proclaimed one five years ago, after multiple exchanges, warnings, and offers to help with assistance through the company's programs. Time and again, I was rebuffed because there was "nothing wrong". Realistically, though, to those outside of his mind, his work suffered, his attitude was abhorrent, and he'd come to work drunk, and then end up trying to sleep it off in the break-room so he could go grab another drink from the makeshift bar he had in his trunk in the parking lot.

I just would prefer some external sources to a story like this, not just the person taking the "medication" directly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds