For you Treasure Seekers

27 Sep 2011 17:15 #1 by CC
For you Treasure Seekers was created by CC

In February 1941, the SS Gairsoppa was traveling from Calcutta, India, to Liverpool, Britain, with a cargo of silver, tea and pig iron when she became separated from the rest of her convoy in bad weather.

As the crew battled to bring the ship, which was running low on fuel, safely in to port at Galway in Ireland, she was struck by a torpedo from a German U-Boat.

More than 30 of the 85 sailors on board the SS Gairsoppa are believed to have made it onto lifeboats, but only one, Second Officer Richard Ayres made it safely home, landing in Cornwall after drifting at sea for two weeks.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/29 ... etail.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Sep 2011 19:49 #2 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic For you Treasure Seekers
Yep, saw this and calculated that at about $38 an once 200 tons of silver is worth around 20 billion. that ought to buy a few rounds. Ok, they only get to keep 80% or around 19 billion.

27 Sep 2011 19:59 #3 by CC
Replied by CC on topic For you Treasure Seekers
It was a great story. I was wondering how much money that was. Thx Rock Doc

27 Sep 2011 20:08 #4 by otisptoadwater
I have to wonder what you'd have left after hiring a competent salvage company, getting all of the required permits and licenses from the crown, and probably having to cut the crew in for a piece of the profit. All of that assumes that you have a successful recovery, what happens if you have to go back for a second or third try? It isn't uncommon to burn up a few million dollars just getting this kind of crew assembled and on board a ship much less the cost of any ROVs and other specialized tools needed to recover items from the bottom of the sea.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

27 Sep 2011 22:53 #5 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic For you Treasure Seekers
If you have a potential 20 billion there to recover, I doubt you would have trouble getting 100 million or more in financing to support this operation.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds