Happy 45th Birthday to the Chevy Camaro!!

29 Sep 2011 14:39 #1 by ScienceChic
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/camaro-45th-2011-09-29
Gallery: Chevrolet Camaro turns 45

On this day, 45 years ago Chevy started selling its vision of the Mustang, otherwise known as the Camaro. And, as Hammond will tell you, the Camaro's a bit awesome.

When it thrust onto the launch pad, Chevy's manager, Pete Estes, told the world's press what the name meant: "A small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs*."

And to celebrate, we've assembled a selection of glorious images of the very first car to bear the name.

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Sep 2011 15:15 #2 by archer
thanks SC....now that brings back memories....I had a gorgeous 1968 white Camero, red interior.....most fun car I ever owned. How I wish I still had that car!

29 Sep 2011 21:50 #3 by ScienceChic
You're welcome! I think I've told the story before of my aunt, a Powderpuff race car driver in the 60s and 70s, who owned a 1970, primer blue SS. By the time I reached driving age, that beautiful car had been sitting and rusting for almost 20 years - her brother, my uncle had bought it from her and gotten tired of it (he now has 6 cars or trucks like that in his driveway, dead and rusting). Anyway, I begged my uncle to let me pull the engine and drop it into a new body (my best friend's brother did that for a hobby and found a suitable car for $300 to put it in, was willing to do it for free b/c it was fun)...my uncle refused. I still mourn that lost opportunity!

I'm happy to hear you had fun with yours though - I could totally see you zipping around causing trouble in it! lol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Sep 2011 22:08 #4 by Martin Ent Inc

29 Sep 2011 22:19 #5 by archer

Science Chic wrote: I could totally see you zipping around causing trouble in it! lol

Moi? I would never, ok, yeah I would.

We went to the Chili Festival in Pueblo last weekend.....they had the biggest, baddest, electric yellow jeep that I have ever seen.....big off/on road tires on it, needed a small step ladder just to get in.....I was in lust.....I wanted to buy it on the spot, but it was Sunday, guy said he couldn't even talk price or give me a sales pitch. Good thing, I have no idea how I was going to pay for it....just wanted it! My daughter is there with us saying get it Mom, you deserve it. I love that kid!

29 Sep 2011 22:33 #6 by ScienceChic
Very nice Martin - the last of the 1st gen Camaros! What color was it?

archer - my dream car when I was a kid was a white Jeep with the doors taken off (you can tell what TV show I liked the most!). Not as much fun when I finally got to ride in one (coincidentally, it too was white, but the guy who owned it turned out to not have as big a heart of gold, or morals, or a spine for that matter, as the Duke boys. Sigh). Next time you see your daughter, you give her a big hug from me and tell her she's awesome for supporting you like that!

How was the Chili Festival?

29 Sep 2011 22:47 #7 by archer
The Chili Festival is not to be missed if you like good chilies. They roast them on the street and it smells soooooo good.. We go on Sunday because the deals are good.....we picked up a bushel of roasted Pueblo Chilis for $20. Also got some Anaheim for me, and some selected very, very hot specialty chiles.. We shall see. Hubby's signature dish is his green chili, and he swears Pueblo is the only place to get the really good Chiles. Better than those from Mexico. he's kind of a chile snob.

It's a fun day, they block off downtown Pueblo by the River Walk, and have lots of street food and specials in most of the restaurants. Lots of venders, crafts, art and the ever present junk dealers.

30 Sep 2011 08:38 #8 by Martin Ent Inc
Hey SC, it was a 1 of a kind factor GM factory drag car. I was second owner it was based on the ZL1, slightly different because of the drag only aspect. I think there were about 70 made for the SS racers to dominate the class, unfortunately the guys I bought it from had removed the aluminum BB, so I put in a screamin SB and terroized the east coast tracks. Had factory 3 point roll bar special aluminum center section 12 bolt differential, naturally a 4 speed close ratio with factory hurst shifter, radio delete, heater delete, factory in dash tach, no rear seat, and light weight fronts. Came White with factory stripes SS/RS was the emblems.
Later was sold to Corvette Shop and Supplies in Tampa, and put on display. I think the owner found an original motor (sort of) and put it in it.

30 Sep 2011 08:51 #9 by ScienceChic
Very nice! :thumbsup: Sounds like you had a lot of fun with it!

Looking back, although I was very well behaved (read: Goody Two Shoes, Never-Got-In-Trouble, Never-Broke-the-Rules Type!), it was probably a good thing that I didn't have a sports car as a teenager - it would've been too tempting to misbehave. :biggrin: It's still nice to dream though!

30 Sep 2011 09:14 #10 by Martin Ent Inc
You only live once (so they say), so you might as well live on the edge.

No fun being Good.

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds