liberty call

06 Oct 2011 16:41 #1 by Blazer Bob
liberty call was created by Blazer Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Oct 2011 19:54 #2 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic liberty call
Makes me wonder what trip back to the ship was like, I can imagine it now (I actually experienced it a few times too)... Each sailor returns to the ship makes their way to gangway, pops a snappy salute to the ensign, turns to the Officer of the Deck and snaps off another salute and then inquires "Permission to cross the patio daddy-O?" It might be funny when it happens but the aftermath isn't pretty.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

06 Oct 2011 22:11 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic liberty call

otisptoadwater wrote: Makes me wonder what trip back to the ship was like, I can imagine it now (I actually experienced it a few times too)... Each sailor returns to the ship makes their way to gangway, pops a snappy salute to the ensign, turns to the Officer of the Deck and snaps off another salute and then inquires "Permission to cross the patio daddy-O?" It might be funny when it happens but the aftermath isn't pretty.

I wonder if that is the difference between skimmers and bubble heads or if it was just different decades.

My section had duty our first night in Sidney somewhere back in the early eighties. I was shore patrol, Paired with a Aussie cop. My orders were that when I got back to the ship I had to be able to stagger across the brow, if I had to crawl I would be in trouble.

06 Oct 2011 22:36 #4 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic liberty call

neptunechimney wrote: I wonder if that is the difference between skimmers and bubble heads or if it was just different decades.

My section had duty our first night in Sidney somewhere back in the early eighties. I was shore patrol, Paired with a Aussie cop. My orders were that when I got back to the ship I had to be able to stagger across the brow, if I had to crawl I would be in trouble.

I posted ship for a reason, fleet sailors are not submariners. The crew on a boat is much closer and some fooling around was tolerated in my day but when it comes to showing respect for your boat, shipmates, and country I feel it is appropriate to hold the crew to respect some traditions.

At the same time I won't say I never did a less than spectacular job of returning to the boat... Shore leave in Subic bay comes to mind, then there's fleet landing in Naples... You might notice a pattern there.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

07 Oct 2011 09:19 #5 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic liberty call
Never did Naples. Subic Bay, well the less said the better.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds