Hiking and its dangers

30 Jun 2010 09:21 #11 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Hiking and its dangers

FoothillsRealtor wrote: I will get one of those, Viking - great idea.

I know all of you posters reasoning about the hiking alone, but the fact is, when I hike I really enjoy the peace and quiet, whereas when you hike in groups there is too much talking and socializing, which is nice sometimes, but for the most part I deal with people so much in my real estate business as well as teaching yoga classes, that its just nice to be quiet sometimes to re-energize. But with that new fear in the back of the head that's not too relaxing anymore either... maybe someone should invent a "rent - a - dog for hiking" business...for those who don't have or don't want their own ;)

Yes, if you hold down the 911 button. Local authorities are notified of your position through the GPS on it. Great for if you are in the middle of nowhere driving too and you don't have cell service.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jun 2010 09:23 #12 by Sunshine Girl

The Viking wrote:

FoothillsRealtor wrote: I will get one of those, Viking - great idea.

I know all of you posters reasoning about the hiking alone, but the fact is, when I hike I really enjoy the peace and quiet, whereas when you hike in groups there is too much talking and socializing, which is nice sometimes, but for the most part I deal with people so much in my real estate business as well as teaching yoga classes, that its just nice to be quiet sometimes to re-energize. But with that new fear in the back of the head that's not too relaxing anymore either... maybe someone should invent a "rent - a - dog for hiking" business...for those who don't have or don't want their own ;)

Yes, if you hold down the 911 button. Local authorities are notified of your position through the GPS on it. Great for if you are in the middle of nowhere driving too and you don't have cell service.

I didn't know that. Great tip Viking!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

30 Jun 2010 10:16 #13 by Neytiri
Replied by Neytiri on topic Hiking and its dangers
I always bring something with me too. What about wasp spray or conceal carry permit? We were just talking about wasp spray in another thread. I know, I have noticed the same things in the news. There is so much violence against women anymore and it makes me sad and mad. I won't hesitate to defend myself. I actually feel safer riding my horse on the trail ... who is going to attack me on my big horse? I will most likely be able to get away faster and cover varied terrain with better ease than someone on foot or even on a mountain bike. I do more riding than hiking but I will usually hike with a buddy if I go.

Eywa has heard you... Eywa has heard you!

30 Jun 2010 11:51 #14 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Hiking and its dangers
FR,
I have to agree with you about hiking alone. It is so much more serene, but also more dangerous. I have started hiking with a pair of black dogs and that might discourage the bad guys. (I won't tell the bad guys that my dogs wouldn't hurt a mouse.)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

30 Jun 2010 13:09 #15 by FoothillsRealtor
yes, I agree, dogs help. I used to have a Siberian Husky many years ago - the gentlest dog you can imagine, but because he was pulling so hard on the leash (sled dog - duhhh) i always had to use one of those muzzle thingis to slow him down, they looked like he was a very dangerous dog... I noticed that people on a trail stepped over a bit when we passed. That was really cool, but I don't have a dog anymore and can't take care of one just because of my lifestyle and circumstances.

What was scary was that on one of the attacks the guy even shot a gun, so even with dogs, or on a horse, one wouldn't have a chance. Well, I really hope that these are just a few incidences and this does not happen more often.

Sophia S Paul, Broker Associate
Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

30 Jun 2010 14:05 #16 by Neytiri

FoothillsRealtor wrote: yes, I agree, dogs help. I used to have a Siberian Husky many years ago - the gentlest dog you can imagine, but because he was pulling so hard on the leash (sled dog - duhhh) i always had to use one of those muzzle thingis to slow him down, they looked like he was a very dangerous dog... I noticed that people on a trail stepped over a bit when we passed. That was really cool, but I don't have a dog anymore and can't take care of one just because of my lifestyle and circumstances.

What was scary was that on one of the attacks the guy even shot a gun, so even with dogs, or on a horse, one wouldn't have a chance. Well, I really hope that these are just a few incidences and this does not happen more often.

Have you considered getting a conceal carry permit, learning how to use and handle a gun and carry one with you while hiking? I know it's terrible that us women have to think of these things through so thoroughly. And I feel bad for the "good" guys who must know we are more leary of men these days.

30 Jun 2010 14:29 #17 by Neytiri
There are also tasers on the market for carry that run about $300.

30 Jun 2010 22:01 #18 by gees
Replied by gees on topic Hiking and its dangers
My job requires me to survey where there are no trails and no cell phone service. I have come across many "mountain men" as well as bears, snakes, mountain lions, moose, etc. during our numerous jobs in the backcountry. The most scary situations have always been interactions between us and other people.

I think that most interactions have never escalated because we never hike alone, I personally never let people get close enough even for a taser to reach, and we always always have someone in the office or who knows where we are, where we are going, and how long we expect to be in the field. We also have a laminated piece of paper that we put in the windshield when we survey that has an emergency number to call if something is amiss.

I have seen the most amazing things hiking in Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Utah and would not let a few bad interactions prevent me from doing something that I love.

My suggestions as a woman and a hiker are simple: never hike alone, always be aware of your surroundings, communicate where you are going and how long you expect to be gone with friends/family, and carry a cell phone and make sure it is easily accessible.

I have taken the concealed weapons class and it is useful, but once you carry a gun you must be prepared to use it- otherwise it could be used against you. So make sure that you are ready and willing to pull the trigger and face the consequences of your actions. You cannot count on just the threat of a gun as a deterrent. Being proficient with a gun is not so simple when you have the added backpack, dog on a leash, etc. to worry about. That kind of control takes practice, practice, practice on and off the range. A gun is not an option for me- my work prohibits any firearms at work or in a work truck.

Now go out there and enjoy those hikes!

01 Jul 2010 06:19 #19 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Hiking and its dangers
I always carry a walking stick and knife, its not much, but the stick can be used for dogs that are out of control if needed.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

01 Jul 2010 06:50 #20 by Cupcake
Replied by Cupcake on topic Hiking and its dangers
IDEA: Borrow a dog from IMHS! Those poor pups need to get out, and you'd be doing them a favor. I plan to borrow one later this year for a camping trip (mine wouldn't do well on this particular trip), and that little dude is gonna have a BLAST!

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds