Hiking and its dangers

29 Jun 2010 17:49 #1 by FoothillsRealtor
I hike a lot, mostly by myself or with just one other person, after those recent incidents where people where attacked (even as a pair/couple) i am wondering how others feel about it, especially women? I have never been afraid to hike by myself and actually enjoyed it, but have different feelings about it now; its sad that places where one goes to relax are a scary place no too. What are your thoughts?

Sophia S Paul, Broker Associate
Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jun 2010 17:58 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Hiking and its dangers
I am very careful when I fish. I don't go in the back where the rangers cannot see me. I have always been careful and I don't think anyone is totally safe hiking alone. I would not do it. Just my two cents.

29 Jun 2010 18:06 #3 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Hiking and its dangers
I always carry something with me for protection. I would recomend all women at least carry something that is easily accessible. And always have a whistle around your neck. Three blows to the whistle means you need help. That sound carries for a long ways.

29 Jun 2010 18:10 #4 by FoothillsRealtor

The Viking wrote: I always carry something with me for protection. I would recomend all women at least carry something that is easily accessible. And always have a whistle around your neck. Three blows to the whistle means you need help. That sound carries for a long ways.

are you talking pepperspray and such? When I go on really long hikes I usually have a knife with me on my belt but I am not sure that would help much at my height 5.2 and weight 110 lbs.... "they" would probably laugh at me....

and staying close to rangers is not really an option if you're hiking. Maybe staying away from trails and hike off trail, really away from anyone????

Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

29 Jun 2010 18:32 #5 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Hiking and its dangers
I don't think hiking alone is very safe for anyone for lots of reasons. Maybe a short one near your house is ok, or a place like Pine Valley where lots of people are there on the weekend.

Pepper spray couldn't hurt. Good for lots of things. Going off trail is probably not a good idea either.

Really I think the risk is fairly low given how many people hike. Don't forget to worry about lightning too! :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

29 Jun 2010 21:08 #6 by Sunshine Girl
Please be careful women that hike by themselves! I would never feel safe hiking by myself. Check out the thread on here about burglars. It has a tip on using wasp spray instead of pepper spray. Maybe good for hikers too.... Please stay safe! :crossed: :heart:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

30 Jun 2010 08:52 #7 by ComputerBreath
I was always told to have someone with you whenever you hike. For several reasons: in case you get injured, in case you run into a human animal or wild animal, in case you get lost.

I am unsure of the usage of the areas in the 285 corridor. I would surmise the areas north of Kenosha Pass are more used than those south of the pass. But, even then, there are wackos in the area...remember a couple of years ago the crazy guy living in the forest that killed the forest ranger near Fairplay??

Be careful and make sure someone know where you are going (the general area), how long you expect to be gone, when you should return.

30 Jun 2010 09:06 #8 by The Viking

ComputerBreath wrote: I was always told to have someone with you whenever you hike. For several reasons: in case you get injured, in case you run into a human animal or wild animal, in case you get lost.

I am unsure of the usage of the areas in the 285 corridor. I would surmise the areas north of Kenosha Pass are more used than those south of the pass. But, even then, there are wackos in the area...remember a couple of years ago the crazy guy living in the forest that killed the forest ranger near Fairplay??

Be careful and make sure someone know where you are going (the general area), how long you expect to be gone, when you should return.

I bought SPOT and take it with me no matter where I go. I know help is just a button away. You should all check it out.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

30 Jun 2010 09:07 #9 by The Viking

FoothillsRealtor wrote:

The Viking wrote: I always carry something with me for protection. I would recomend all women at least carry something that is easily accessible. And always have a whistle around your neck. Three blows to the whistle means you need help. That sound carries for a long ways.

are you talking pepperspray and such? When I go on really long hikes I usually have a knife with me on my belt but I am not sure that would help much at my height 5.2 and weight 110 lbs.... "they" would probably laugh at me....

and staying close to rangers is not really an option if you're hiking. Maybe staying away from trails and hike off trail, really away from anyone????

And yes a knife is a great idea. Most predators are cowards and look for easy targets. If you pull out a knife, I think the odds are he would not think it was worth the risk and effort and run away.

30 Jun 2010 09:14 #10 by FoothillsRealtor
I will get one of those, Viking - great idea.

I know all of you posters reasoning about the hiking alone, but the fact is, when I hike I really enjoy the peace and quiet, whereas when you hike in groups there is too much talking and socializing, which is nice sometimes, but for the most part I deal with people so much in my real estate business as well as teaching yoga classes, that its just nice to be quiet sometimes to re-energize. But with that new fear in the back of the head that's not too relaxing anymore either... maybe someone should invent a "rent - a - dog for hiking" business...for those who don't have or don't want their own ;)

Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds