Quilters - an odd fabric request....

24 Oct 2011 17:13 #1 by Cheap Yankee
Quilters,
I have a request. I am planning a unique baby quilt for a friend. She's due in February. She's following a website which compares the current stage of development of the baby with a common fruit or veggie so that one can compare the size of the baby to that fruit/veggie. She and the father started calling their future child "our little blueberry". It is currently a "spaghetti squash".
Since they're having such a giggle over this, I'm envisioning a quilt made of sawtooth stars where the center squares are made up of fabric depicting these fruits/veggies. The points shall be sewn from coordinating brights.

So - I'm looking for scraps (5-6" squares) of fabric with any of the following motifs:

Grapes
Kumquat
Fig
Lime
Lemon
Avocado
Turnip
Bell pepper
Tomato
Banana
Carrot
Mango
Rutabaga (really?)
Cauliflower
Butternut Squash
Cabbage
Pineapple
Cantaloupe
Honeydew
Watermelon (ouch!!)

I already have blueberry, strawberry, corn, apple & pumpkin.
Any scraps you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I've already shopped around for an appropriate charm pack. The best I can find (from Keepsake Quilting) has about 5 of these motifs, repeated 4 times in the pack.
As for purchasing a variety, minimum cuts prohibit a decent collection. I only need a scrap, not a quarter yard off the bolt.
If I can get 9-12 different fabrics, that'll be enough star blocks for a small quilt.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Oct 2011 18:23 #2 by Local_Historian
I have some fabric with Carrots, Broccoli and another veggie I cannot remember on it (might be a tomato) - got it at IKEA. However, the veggies have faces, arms and legs. Good or no?

Just remembered I may have some other fabric with tiny fruits on it and checks.

I could take pictures of these and post them, save you a trip if they are not what you are looking for.

25 Oct 2011 12:37 #3 by Cheap Yankee
LH - as long as the individual fruits/veggies are featured on the fabric, I'll be happy.
I'm trying to avoid a "salad".
Faces, arms & legs may add just another touch of whimsy!
Please PM me w/contact info so we can arrange a meet.
Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds