Hey Tangelo, are you here?

02 Jul 2010 23:42 #11 by robin
Replied by robin on topic Hey Tangelo, are you here?

Local_Historian wrote: If so, I want to say I'm really sorry that you're not even allowed to mention your mother's efforts during the Hayman fires somewhere else.

That's just pathetic.

I'd like to hear more about what your mom did - please tell us?

Wanted to quote this original post here. No where does anyone say that she is not allowed to do this. A thread was started over on PC about the Hayman fires, but immediately went off to something else. We welcomed discussions about the fire and the history, which included Becky's logs, but no one went that direction. Tangelo stated she was not allowed to mention her Mother's name and went that direction, not PC.

The above post by LH is not true and out of context. I don't want to fight, and I refuse to be nasty even on an unmoderated board. Here is a definition of this situation (which happens a lot from people only wanting to stir the pot):

"The practice of quoting out of context, sometimes referred to as "contextomy" or "quote mining", is a logical fallacy and a type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.[1]

Arguments based on this fallacy typically take two forms. As a straw man argument, which is frequently found in politics, it involves quoting an opponent out of context in order to misrepresent their position (typically to make it seem more simplistic or extreme) in order to make it easier to refute."

:peace:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jul 2010 00:02 #12 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Hey Tangelo, are you here?
A dear friend once gave me some advice that I find very useful almost every day of my life.
She told me that I should always try to think about what the worst thing that could happen as a result of my words or actions....and if I can live with the worst possible thing then go ahead and say it or do it but if not....I should re-think my position. It was sound advice. I am now offering it to you.

Are you sure you want to continue this?

03 Jul 2010 01:05 #13 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Hey Tangelo, are you here?
and like I said earlier.......

there are way more important battles that need to be fought. Let this one go.

03 Jul 2010 05:08 #14 by Sunshine Girl

robin wrote:

Local_Historian wrote: If so, I want to say I'm really sorry that you're not even allowed to mention your mother's efforts during the Hayman fires somewhere else.

That's just pathetic.

Wanted to quote this original post here. No where does anyone say that she is not allowed to do this. A thread was started over on PC about the Hayman fires, but immediately went off to something else. We welcomed discussions about the fire and the history, which included Becky's logs, but no one went that direction. Tangelo stated she was not allowed to mention her Mother's name and went that direction, not PC.

The above post by LH is not true and out of context. I don't want to fight, and I refuse to be nasty even on an unmoderated board. Here is a definition of this situation (which happens a lot from people only wanting to stir the pot):

"The practice of quoting out of context, sometimes referred to as "contextomy" or "quote mining", is a logical fallacy and a type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.[1]

Arguments based on this fallacy typically take two forms. As a straw man argument, which is frequently found in politics, it involves quoting an opponent out of context in order to misrepresent their position (typically to make it seem more simplistic or extreme) in order to make it easier to refute."

Robin, I don't think anyone here us wanting to fight with you either, BUT I read the posts that LH quoted. I guess I'm tired of the old tired excuses like saying something was taken out of context. Who cares if a thread goes off in another direction for a bit? Not saying that actually even happened though. I mean really, these are adults posting and SHOULD be able to say what's on their mind. We've all seen many a thread wander before, yet only when PC feels threatened somehow do they censor it. The quote is the quote. Yes, PC WAS telling her to shut up whether they said those EXACT words or not. Enough with the ridiculous spin. This is not PC where anyone is forced to believe it, or remain silent about it. Adults here can make up their own minds and no one needs to try to be the parent and TELL US what we are supposed to believe. I have no hard feelings to you Robin, but I don't believe what you would like US to believe. Peace to you.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

03 Jul 2010 09:03 #15 by Wayne Harrison
Robin,

I think it's just possible that a moderator (or board member -- you guys don't have a separation between the two jobs) sent an email to Tangelo on their own -- without telling anyone else. That sort of thing has happened a lot, from what I've been able to determine. I remember when you sent me an email saying I wanted to destroy Pinecam, or something to that effect.

Becky says she has the email. I believe her. You're saying no email was ever sent. I'm betting one was, since Becky has it, and you weren't made aware of it, as Becky herself suggested earlier.

03 Jul 2010 09:43 #16 by Gringa
Replied by Gringa on topic Hey Tangelo, are you here?
She sent you an email like that? Oh my..... people, people, people. lol

I believe Robin asked to see it. Why don't you just post it here, Becky, so people can see for themsevles?

03 Jul 2010 09:44 #17 by Gringa
Replied by Gringa on topic Hey Tangelo, are you here?
OH! And hey Tangelo! how are you? Jody's mom, here!

03 Jul 2010 10:14 #18 by Sunshine Girl

robin wrote:

That's just pathetic. I agree.

Wanted to quote this original post here. No where does anyone say that she is not allowed to do this. A thread was started over on PC about the Hayman fires, but immediately went off to something else. We welcomed discussions about the fire and the history, which included Becky's logs, but no one went that direction. Tangelo stated she was not allowed to mention her Mother's name and went that direction, not PC. So Robin, if we're to understand this your/PC's way (one and the same in my book) what you're saying is that Tangelo wanted to talk about her mother and PC didn't have a problem with it, yet Tangelo changed her mind and SHE decided not to talk about it? I'm confused. Could you please clarify the quote that LH posted then? It seems confusing of what you're trying to convey to us.

The above post by LH is not true and out of context. Then post the CORRECT post as YOU see it. Then we can all be clear, ok? I don't want to fight, and I refuse to be nasty even on an unmoderated board. Really!???! So your purpose of coming over here and calling THREE people basically liars is for what reason? I do believe Tangelo, Becky, and LH. I have seen you post untruths before (like what it takes to get banned) so your credibility is very low to me. Maybe others feel the same way, but I will not speak for them. Here is a definition of this situation (which happens a lot from people only wanting to stir the pot): With all the respect that is due, perhaps the one wanting to stir the pot is you? Just saying.

"The practice of quoting out of context, sometimes referred to as "contextomy" or "quote mining", is a logical fallacy and a type of false attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in such a way as to distort its intended meaning.[1] I agree. I think the board, admins, and some of the mods at PC have this down to a science! :wink:

Arguments based on this fallacy typically take two forms. As a straw man argument, which is frequently found in politics, it involves quoting an opponent out of context in order to misrepresent their position (typically to make it seem more simplistic or extreme) in order to make it easier to refute." Again, good point. What is the OTHER fallacy that you're employing in this thread? You said there were two and you only mentioned one. I'm wondering which fallacy you're using to try to make your point. Just curious.

Robin, you have been welcomed on this site with open arms by many people. I have yet to read many (if any - maybe I just missed them) other posts by you participating in a positive manor on this board. We all know where your ties and allegiance lay. It seems though that you are as quick as a whip to come over here to accuse members here of lying in your "collective" defense of PC. Are you their representative or something? Either way I can say that I (speaking only for myself) welcome you Robin, but not YOUR lies, spin, or mistruths. Peace to you as well. :sunshine:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

03 Jul 2010 11:36 #19 by Local_Historian
I'm sure that PC doesn't want me to take the entire thread and bring it over here. nor does 285 Bound.

Those where taken IN context, the thread was about sharing info about the Hayman fires, specifically the IRC chat exerpts, and others started to share some info as well. yet no one but Tangelo, who spoke about her mother, was told to stop.

And I quoted where she was told to stop - twice.

I didn't strawman at all, darling - nor did I quote out of context. Being told to shut up is being told to shut up, plain and simple. And your excuse that the thread went a different direction? Pure and simple crap. Damn near every thread on there goes a different direction- it IS the nature of BBS systems, and human nature. Very rarely does a verbal conversation stay 100% on one topic only; conversations ebb and flow, no matter what form they take. Yet I don't see you over there overmoderating every thread- only those that might make you look bad.

Really, do you really want to keep looking bad over for genuinely shared information you site did not have - and hopefully you found a way to take it and archive it since that is the spirit in which it was meant - info shared with open minds and open hearts. ANYONE can read the thread, with the exception of the links, without logging in. EVERYONE can see the same things I see- and others see. Unless, of course, the thread suddenly disappears.

Really, stop. You're making yourself look bad, and Pinecam look bad. And while some of us are still members of both, you are going to end up driving people away from your site.

BTW, this thread IS in a moderated area - only one section of 285Bound is unmoderated, and that is The Ring. This thread is in The Campfire. Fully moderated.

04 Jul 2010 15:36 #20 by Hard To Say
no reason the litigate the past...why not move on

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds