It's Texas Chicken Fried Steak Day!

27 Oct 2011 09:22 #31 by Wayne Harrison
I remember stopping at a truck stop cafe on I-45 in Huntsville and ordering biscuits and gravy. The waitress called me "sugar" and "hon."

She brought the biscuits on a plate and big bowl of white pan gravy with a spoon stuck in middle, sitting straight up in the gravy. It was the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Oct 2011 10:21 #32 by HappyCamper
You all made me hungry for chicken fried steak so I made it last night. I had never added baking powder to the flour so I gave it a try and Wow it made the coating a lot thicker and more crunchy will be adding it from now on thanks for the tip.

27 Oct 2011 10:32 #33 by Wayne Harrison
If you deep fry it, instead of pan fry it, the breading is "bumpier" for lack of a better term.

I learned this from K-Bobs. I couldn't figure out why their chicken fried steak breading looked different than mine.

As for baking powder, my mother told me they used to put it in eggs during the war (WW II) to make scrambled eggs fluffier and to make one egg seem like more. I tried it, and it works.

27 Oct 2011 17:31 #34 by 2wlady
To think that the baking powder use has been around for a long time and I'm just learning about some more uses! Thanks.

27 Oct 2011 18:20 #35 by Martin Ent Inc
AAAhhh heart attack and pleasure all in one.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds