Rescue Horses UPDATE and Help requested.

01 Jul 2010 07:55 #1 by LopingAlong
I recently was involved with the rescue of three horses and the owner surrendered them voluntarily to Park County. They have had vet checks (thank you, Leticia German!) and farrier visits (thank you Kris Warner!) and have eaten over a ton and a half of hay in the short while that I've had them. I found two very loving and caring wonderful homes for two of the horses and have one left.

Many of you have PM'd me or have called and offered help and I now need to take you up on your generosity.

The last little filly is 4-5 years old and is in the worst shape of all of them. Her feet were neglected until the toes turned up and she looked as though she had human feet--legs coming down and then a slipper-foot set at about a 90 degree angle. We were worried about her tendons, but Kris did an outstanding job of trimming just enough that now the filly can step backwards (she was unable to before) and she can trot and walk so much more normally, it's a happy sight.

She is still not healthy enough to be dewormed or vaccinated, so we are waiting to do that, but I need the vaccinations if anyone has any, and I need dewormer too. I need to run a fecal to see exactly which parasites we need to worm her for.

This little girl will not be rideable for 6-12 mos according to both vet and farrier.

She has a slight heart murmer, nothing too serious according to vet, but it is something we need to watch. It may just disappear as she gets healthier and no longer anemic. I am very cautious in placing this last filly, but I need to do something. At the least, I find that I'm in need of some help for this little girl. She is little, too; stunted, this quarter horse is not even 14 hands tall yet. The new owner of one of the mares is willing to take both horses to her house, but needs all expenses covered on the little one. I have hay to donate, but at $260 per ton, I can't donate enough to cover her for the winter. I have a blanket for her for winter too, but if we could get her a waterproof one that is heavy, that would be terrific. These run around $125-200 for a good one, or if someone has a size 70-72" they could donate, that would be awesome.

What I need is: Money to buy her hay for the winter so that she can be fed a consistent diet. Money for farrier work as her feet are in rehab therapy now being trimmed much more often than normally is needed. Each session is $40 and I've already paid for two. (Wait, Homeagain paid for one so I lied there--Thank you, Homeagain!) When she is able, I'll start her on Rice Bran and that stuff is high-dollar at something like $34 a bag. Money to buy or a donation of a winter blanket would be great too. If anyone is able and willing to donate any of the above--pay the farrier, buy some rice bran and grain, donate money to the hay fund, a blanket; I would so greatly appreciate it.

If you would like to spend time with this sweet horse, please let me know that as well. She is quite lovely to be around. If you would be interested in adopting her, please contact me. I'm really picky though, so if you aren't exactly who she needs, please understand if I say I need to keep looking. I want her to have a forever home, not a temporary one. I want her to have a person who she can bond to (she's trying to bond to me and that is not a good thing since I can't keep her) and she needs room to develope the muscles she doesn't have.

You can make checks out directly to:
-- my hay source Arland Miller for any amount you are willing to donate.
--farrier Kris Warner for any amount (each trim is $40)
--Veterinarian Letica German (for her next checkup)
--to me directly and I will allocate the funds as needed--grain, rice bran, dewormer, vaccinations.

I also have a PayPal account if that is easier. The eamil is . , Tanya Buck

My address is PO Box 596, Pine, CO 80470 if you prefer to send a check.

I hate asking for help, but I just can't afford to keep this girl for the 6 mos to a year to rehab her. If you are intersted in adopting her, she comes with 10 hours of free training (more if needed).
Thank you all so much for offering to help and thank you for following through.

Tanya Buck
Pictures here: http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae28 ... %206-2010/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jul 2010 09:55 #2 by JMC
Great work LA, count me in to help out

01 Jul 2010 11:25 #3 by Sunshine Girl
Count us in. I sent you a PM. :thumbsup:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

01 Jul 2010 11:55 #4 by LopingAlong
Thank you so so so much. I am very grateful and humbled.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds