Christmas Decorations - When Should They Go Up?

23 Nov 2011 08:33 #11 by Nobody that matters
My kids like Christmas decorations. Having the house all dressed up with garlands and lights makes them smile.

Our decorations have been up since last weekend - so the kids can enjoy them on their break from school.

We don't do outdoor decorations though - Nobody would see 'em but us, and most evenings we're tucked inside around the fire.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Nov 2011 08:49 #12 by HappyCamper
I decorate one tree outside that I can see from the window.

I will start putting up the inside items next weekend I have a huge Christmas Village that takes me two days to put up and I will probably start putting it out this Sunday.

Anyone one else have Dept. 56 villages? Mine is Dicken's and I typically add a new piece every year although since it is so big now I have only been adding people the last couple of years.

23 Nov 2011 10:24 #13 by ComputerBreath
Traditionally when I was growing up we would go out into the boonies (sometimes with family friends) and cut down our tree or trees no later than the middle of December...but that was 'cuz the tree was real and it wouldn't last much past 4 weeks if that (especially 'cuz the base was a couple of boards in the form of an "X"). Once we went with a fake tree when we downsized and moved, we'd put it up the weekend after Thanksgiving. So when I became an adult and moved out on my own, that was what I did was put the fake tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Never have put up outside decorations or lights...I'm too short and it wasn't safe for me to do all of that.

Putting them up after Thanksgiving and leaving them up until the 1st is plenty of time. Anything before or after is just too much.

No Christmas music until at least Thanksgiving day and it should stop the day after Christmas. Any more than that almost makes me sick to my stomach and want to listen to something way opposite, like Heavy Metal.

23 Nov 2011 11:24 #14 by MamaRama
Our family is coming in from up in Lyons and so we started decorating outside early so we can make it a tradition to turn them on after our meal.. This is the first year we've done it this way and we will wait to do the inside stuff until Friday after we cut our tree and bring it home. I can remember when I was a kid and we go to Oak Creek to have Thanksgiving with my Granma and my Dad would see that we cut our Christmas tree the day after up on the Gore Pass. What GREAT memories those are. Hot Chocolate, left over turkey sammies, chips and the nap on the way home... Oh to be a kid again!!! :)

24 Nov 2011 10:51 #15 by ShilohLady
Growing up, we always had a real tree plus my sister's birthday is Dec 20th so the tree didn't go up until AFTER Eileen's birthday. Blame my religious upbringing or whatever but to me the Christmas season doesn't end until at least Epiphany (Jan 6th)... although in the Catholic church, it doesn't end until the celebration of Christ's baptism. I like the Christmas songs to continue until Jan 6th but I know everyone is sick of them because they start so dang early. My husband likes to put up the decorations beginning the weekend following Thanksgiving (i.e. starting tomorrow) and since we have a fake tree, that's ok with me.

I like the radio stations that might start inserting a Christmas song or two per SHOW (3-4 hours) and gradually increase as it gets closer to Christmas - too much too soon is just overkill in my opinion.

25 Nov 2011 07:04 #16 by MamaRama
I love xmas music but shopping for an afternoon and listening to it played over and over and over again in the malls/stores kills me.. i guess it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't start playing it the day after HALLOWEEN....

25 Nov 2011 07:44 #17 by 2wlady
No outdoor decorations. Put stuff up inside Thanksgiving weekend. Take them down sometime in January, because I love them.

26 Nov 2011 13:46 #18 by CC
Christmas decorations are going up as we speak inside. Tree is thawing in the living room in it's stand.
Not doing much outside this year. Just a few inflatables for the grandkids.

26 Nov 2011 13:51 #19 by Photo-fish
I'll wait a few more weeks. We string the icicle lights on the street side only. I also wrap 8 of the deck posts in different colored lights and light a new one for each night of Hanukah and then leave them all on for the rest of the holiday season. They are down no later than 2 weeks after X-mas.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

26 Nov 2011 16:49 #20 by navycpo7
This year only doing it so I can take pics and send them to my son along with some stuff he and his buddies can use over there to get maybe alittle feel of xmas. Never until Thanksgiving is over. I do not even think about doing much for xmas until that is over.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds