Christmas Decorations - When Should They Go Up?

22 Nov 2011 21:54 #1 by otisptoadwater
I would like to get through Thanksgiving and the first week or two of December before putting up my outdoor lights but it seems most of the neighbors have already got their outdoor lights up and turned on.

It seems a little early to me and in concert with the commercialization of Christmas instead of a religious celebration of the birth of Christ. Am I just too old and set in my ways or are their good reasons for the Christmas lights to go up before Thanksgiving?

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Nov 2011 22:03 #2 by ScienceChic
We almost always wait until the weekend after Thanksgiving to put them up, but if the weather's going to be bad and we have a chance to do it before T-giving we will. HOWEVER, they absolutely will NOT get turned on before Thanksgiving, and I'd prefer if it wasn't until Dec 1st. I used to be a big stickler about not turning them on after Christmas either, then I softened that to Dec 31st, now it's the first week of January (my kids made me do it!) :biggrin:

I love the lights, but I know they wouldn't be special if they weren't limited to such a short time so I do my best to appreciate them every time I see them, and LOVE driving around neighborhoods during the month to see everyone else's.

After sharing that Halloween video of LMFAO's Party Rock with timed flashing lights, my neighbor decided he wants to one-up it and get our entire street timed to a Christmas song - it's going to take a lot of control boxes...

Edit to add: I found this photo which just looked so cute! Lights are nice, but this is so tastefully done it's perfect and doesn't need 'em!

From RMS user Faeryhollow here http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/H ... d=23256338

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Nov 2011 22:10 #3 by archer
One neighbor has had his lights up for a couple weeks now...way too early for my taste. And weather is not an issue here in AZ. Maybe I'm a scrooge, bit we put ours up about 2 weeks before Christmas and take them down right after New Years. I love the lights for the holidays, but not for 6 to 8 weeks.

22 Nov 2011 22:12 #4 by otisptoadwater
Couldn't agree more SC, I think that all of the detraction's from the 12 days of Christmas make the holiday less special and Christmas decorations seem to appear as early as October now a days. I'll confess I let my lights burn between Christmas and New Years Eve but they come down on New Years day.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

22 Nov 2011 22:38 #5 by pacamom
My lights are up year round, but not turned on till the day I actually remember to plug them in. I have made it almost impossible to put them up or take them down, so they just stay up all year. I also keep them lit till I remember to unplug them.
No one sees them anyway so it doesn't really matter.

22 Nov 2011 22:42 #6 by chickaree
We used to wait until the first Sunday of Advent but now we start the Friday after Thanksgiving because we have the family around and the time off work. As far as the 12days of Christmas, nowadays Christmas Day is the end, not the beginning. Such a shame.

22 Nov 2011 23:24 #7 by otisptoadwater

chickaree wrote: We used to wait until the first Sunday of Advent but now we start the Friday after Thanksgiving because we have the family around and the time off work. As far as the 12days of Christmas, nowadays Christmas Day is the end, not the beginning. Such a shame.

12 days of celebration may seem a bit excessive but I maintain that if your basis of celebration is religious instead of commercial 12 days are not excessive. There are ceremonies to attend and prayers to say but the commercial aspect should go by the way side for the most part.

As for the Advent calendars loaded with wonderful German chocolate and the lead up to the 12 days of Christmas, I'm a fan. A dose of really good chocolate most (if not all) of the days of December can't be a bad thing!

23 Nov 2011 06:12 #8 by pacamom
Did someone say chocolate? :like:

23 Nov 2011 06:26 #9 by Rockdoc
lol Pretty amusing. I think the wife will start decorating after Thanksgiving. Christmas is not commercial or religious for us, but a focus on family and friends. It is the most favorite holiday for me still mainly because people in general are more friendly and civil. I like it when a stranger wishes you a Merry Christmas or happy holiday and vice versa.

I'm going with the flow at home. Traditionally, I've celebrated Christmas without much attention to the outside. Decorating was inside for the benefit of family.

23 Nov 2011 08:27 #10 by chickaree
No one can see our house so outdoor decorations are for our pleasure alone.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds