Bear Proofing your trash cans!

09 Jul 2010 17:36 #1 by robin
There is a very good post on how to bear proof your trash cans...step by step with pictures...over at PC. Here is the link. Good info for everyone. :)

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=114332

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jul 2010 17:47 #2 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Bear Proofing your trash cans!
Good info. I try to leave it in the garage but I know some people can't do that. Thanks

09 Jul 2010 17:57 #3 by LopingAlong
Robin, thank you for sharing!

09 Jul 2010 19:40 #4 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Bear Proofing your trash cans!
Great Info.

Just a heads up JMC.....One of our neighbors left their trash in their garage and a bear ripped their garage door off. LOL

10 Jul 2010 18:33 #5 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Bear Proofing your trash cans!

Becky wrote: Great Info.

Just a heads up JMC.....One of our neighbors left their trash in their garage and a bear ripped their garage door off. LOL

If they are that hungry , more power to them. They deserve it.

10 Jul 2010 19:37 #6 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Bear Proofing your trash cans!
LOL. My neighbor just stopped by to let us know that we also have a bear. Been visiting a lot lately. we have slept right through all the ruckus.

10 Jul 2010 21:57 #7 by Honda Rider
They used to throw mine around my driveway like a nurf football, finally they just gave up, if I could find my camera I would post pics on how I bear proofed my trash can, it was simple, and took about 10 minutes to do.

11 Jul 2010 03:10 #8 by Rockdoc

Becky wrote: Great Info.

This simply underscores the nature of the problem. If you have a trash can that is out of moded plastic or a dumpster that has a plywood reinforced top, it will nt keep a bear out if they want to get into it. Bear claws and strength will shred both just like they can shred aluminum cans. At best, it will discourage a bear to find an easier target. This is why the trash barrels in National parks are made of iorn. BTW one of the bears visiting our dumpster got PO and simply knoked a 4 cu yard dumpster on its side for easier access. :biggrin:

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds