Two new businesses opening up in Conifer.....JMO on both.

10 Jul 2010 22:54 #1 by Sunshine Girl
First of all I hope this stays in the Campfire for a bit before being moved because I think it will get more exposure here. Here's my opinion on the two new restaurants opening up in the Conifer area.

1. DW 285 Dinner:

I have been very excited about this new place opening up for weeks now. It's in the King Soopers area next to Qdoba. They just started their 'soft opening' yesterday. My little girl and I had dinner there tonight. I can't rave about this place enough! To start with, we were just driving by yesterday and saw some of the wait staff outside and stopped to chat with them. One of the girls Zoe went the extra mile and grabbed a menu to look at and told us a bit about the place. The first impression was excellent! We eat out a lot and like to support the local places up here so having another choice is wonderful.

On to tonight....we were greeted by two very friendly hostesses and seated. The decor is eclectic and it felt comfortable and relaxed. Already it was doing a brisk business. The menu was varied and diverse. The prices OUTSTANDING! We ordered a shrimp cocktail to share, my daughter ordered Nachos, I had the Bow Tie Pasta, and we had two beverages. The portions very generous to say the least. Our total bill was less than $20!!!!!

Let me break it down:

The Shrimp Cocktail had 18-20 medium sized shrimps. Only $3.50!!! Enough for two people.
The Nachos come with Chili (yummy - we had it on the side), guac and sour cream, and tomatoes. Big! Only $3.50! Share for sure.
The Bow Tie Pasta tasted very similar to the Claim Jumpers (my favorite dish at CJ). Very good! Only $7.95!
We ended up needing to go boxes for the nachos and pasta. Very tasty and filling.

Our server (I forgot her name - Amanda maybe) was excellent. Very friendly and attentive. The owners and manager all sat down and talk with us for a bit. Super nice people. I gave them a couple of tiny suggestions AND THEY WELCOMED IT. How refreshing is that? ***Just like the owners of this site. Very nice!*** The owners live up here and they couldn't have been nicer. We will be regulars here as well as Golden Stix and Ravens which we love as well. Three great places in our backyard. Nice!

They also do take-out just to let you know. The kids menu is $3.95 and includes a side and a drink. They even have a wonderful toy chest for some lucky winners! I highly recommend giving this place a try. Just remember they are new and working out the kinks. The food was delicious and the service and prices superb!

2. The old Lucille's:

I'm the first to be totally supportive of new places in our community, but I learned the other day who the new owners of the 'soon to open' old Lucille's location is. Let me first say that I have been very excited to see this place reopen. I loved the location! I was happy to see the previous owner Steve go though. He seemed like he was here to make some big money off "the rich" people that lived up here. Sub-standard food, outrageous prices, small portions, and a less than wonderful staff (with one exception) was nothing compared to the guy himself. Bipolar much? Also, I could be wrong, but what did the owner ever do for our community? It seemed more that he was here to make a buck off of us than to support us. Sad. The interior was beautiful and the view is nice as well.

I have been perplexed though to imagine anyone thinking that they could make a go of it at this location with the outrageous rents in the new Safeway center. How many businesses and local employees have lost their living because it was just too expensive there? Sad for our community to say the least. It seems like the identity of the new owner has been under wraps or something. Well folks, I was sad to learn it is no other than THE OWNER OF THE SAFEWAY COMPLEX. I hope I'm wrong. Apparently Lucille's manager is a partner too?????? It is all making sense now. I really was looking forward to checking the place out and if it was good - supporting it. I honestly just don't think I can. If I want a good steak I can go to the Outback or Raven's. I don't think I can support this guy when so many people have been negatively affected and driven out of business. I know it's not all his fault but what does he have to loose? He can still charge his "business" a high rent (it's a business expense so he can write it off) and if he can't make the rent is he going to evict himself? No! Not every business there is so lucky. Half the complex remains empty and the rest of them struggle. If they can't make it they get evicted of course. No him though - lucky guy. He can loose money every month for years and write it all off. Hum.

This is JMO and gut feeling. So what if the food, prices, and service are acceptable? I want to support someone who really needs it and cares about our community! I'd rather support a mom and pop place or go into town and support a chain. I'm very disappointed! I'd be interested to know others opinions on this.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jul 2010 07:44 #2 by Ronbo
If the food and service are good and the prices reasonable, I don't care who the owns it.

11 Jul 2010 08:37 #3 by gees
It seems like restaurants up here start off well with good service and food. They quickly suffer from complacency in the kitchen and with their staff. The true test for me will be if these places last a year and maintain the level of service that gives them such rave reviews from people during their opening weeks.

I wish them good luck and will give them a try soon.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds