The Complete Report - Highway 285 Update

16 Feb 2012 11:34 #1 by ScottB
I contacted CDOT Resident Engineer Steve Harelson this morning with questions I had after the Feb. 15 Conifer Area Council meeting where he made a presentation.

Here is the full scope of work going on and planned for Highway 285:

The five passing lanes planned for Highway 285 are between Kenosha Pass and Fairplay. On the Northbound side, they will be constructed at MM (Mile Marker) 184.8 to 186.2, which is on Red Hill; MM 194 to 196 which is southwest of Jefferson; and MM 200.6 to 201.9 which is the southerly side of Kenosha. In the southbound direction they will be constructed at MM 195.3 to 196.8, southwest of Jefferson and 190.2 to 190.8.

Additionally, CDOT will construct a left turn pocket from southbound 285 into Elkhorn Road near Como. The passing lanes are being funded with FASTER safety funds, which come from the increase added to automobile registrations a couple years back. The existing lanes of 285 between Kenosha and Redhill will also be repaved with this project.

News on the expansion of Highway 285 to Bailey: In 2005, CDOT finalized an environmental assessment that extended the 4-lane section from Foxton Road to the top of Crow Hill, and constructs interchanges and other intersection improvements throughout the corridor.

The remainder of the work - about 200 Million dollars - is still planned as funding allows.

The interchange at Pine Junction is under design with expected completion of the design in 2013. It will be built as soon as funding becomes available-which would hopefully be in the next 3 to 5 years. After that there is no firm schedule. Steven Harelson believes it makes the most sense to work from Richmond Hill toward the southwest.

Expanding to four lanes between Richmond Hill and Shaffers is one of Steve’s top priorities, next would be the interchanges at Parker Drive and King’s Valley, and after that an expansion to four lanes between Parker Drive and Pine Junction.

Next would be the four lanes to Deer Creek at the top of Crow Hill. As far as timing goes, under current funding scenarios, it will likely be at least 20 years before the corridor is completed.

In planning the construction, CDOT’s initial priorities have been driven by safety. Richmond Hill and Deer Creek were the most dangerous intersections in the corridor-so those two interchanges were constructed first. Shaffers Crossing was next as it also had some safety concerns, though not as severe as the first two. Pine Junction is next, largely to get rid of the traffic light.

Another project - this one belongs to RTD not CDOT - is the RTD Pine Junction parking lot. Expect construction on it to begin late summer or fall of this year. The lot will be located off Mt. Evans Blvd and the construction should not affect Highway 285.

The Conifer Area Council, open to all area residents, holds its next “Town Hall” meeting April 18 at Conifer’s West Jefferson Middle School starting at 7 pm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Feb 2012 11:51 #2 by pineinthegrass
Thanks for posting this info!

I've been wondering about the plans for the Pine Junction interchange. I thought they'd be starting on it much sooner, but now I see it's still a few years off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds