No more Kindle for me.

08 Mar 2012 22:00 #11 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic No more Kindle for me.

The Viking wrote: Just popped back on to see what is being talked about on this site. Wow! Really noticing a pattern here.......

Take care......

Yeah, so am I. Is this is all you can manage these days, a drive-by bash of one thread? How about reading something in the Barnraisers forum, like where several people have been helping the Mountain Peace Shelter get their new Boutique and admin offices ready to open?
Fun House?
Community Events, News, and Calendar to see what's going on in the community?
The JOY International forum, where you'll learn about one of the most amazing, spiritual, intelligent, compassionate men ever, who goes to the most god-awful places on earth and rescues children (ages 4-17) himself, with help from his international team, from forced servitude in brothels? One of his operatives just got caught and beaten so badly he ended up in the hospital. He tells tales that break your heart; I've yet to have a meeting with him where I haven't ended up crying at least once. There is a great group of people, including Pastor Lance Swearengin of the Conifer Community Church, Pastor Greg Blake of the Elk Creek Community Church, Janet Shown the director of the Conifer Community Park, and many other wonderful people, in the early stages of planning two fundraising events for him this summer and fall and we could use all the help we can get - come to our next meeting March 22nd at 11:30am at the Conifer Community Church and get involved!

It might improve your spirits if you jumped in and helped out in your community! :thumbsup: We've all noticed that our businesses are hurting, houses are standing empty (although I've heard from one realtor that houses under $200K in Bailey are going like hotcakes right now), thrift stores are even struggling. If you want to help change that - watch for when neighbors and businesses post looking for help, and get active!

When I bought 285Bound, I thought I was just buying a site that I was already heavily involved with and wouldn't be doing anything different than I already had been doing. Wrong. There is so much more that can be done, and who better than us, the people who are most affected who live in this community? Even on my worst days dealing with stuff I don't want to here, my daughter stubbornly refusing to conform to anyone's schedule but her own, feeling like I'm so far behind on my to-do list that I'll never see my husband again from around my computer screen, my pets treating the carpet as their own personal bathroom, etc, I can't help but be in a good spirit because of how I'm helping to make a positive difference in this community. And you can feel that way too, I promise you. You don't have to give money, just your time and effort, in a myriad of ways. Rather than complaining about "how negative this site is", or how we can't keep from "partisan bashing one another", get out and help your neighbors - it puts the other stuff in a better, more realistic perspective.

As for the Kindles, I still love mine. I can share books, although no one but my hubby's taken me up on it yet. I can borrow from the library (yes, the Conifer library offers e-book lending too) and I don't have to carry a stack of them on the airplane for a long vacation - it holds 1,500. Am I happy that they aren't as discounted as they used to be? No, but I knew that wouldn't last, and just like print books, you can always find deals if you are willing to spend the time looking.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2012 03:44 #12 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic No more Kindle for me.
I have not seen one book yet that is enabled to share. And my library's lending system is backed up by a list of 20 people per book. I want the books that last forever and that I can share. Kindle doesn't. JMO. Since I can't find a book to share with others, I don't like the system. They got greedy with it by making Kindle more expensive and less versatile so screw them. I am going back to basics.

09 Mar 2012 06:56 #13 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic No more Kindle for me.
I heard on TV last night that ebooks are going to be cheaper. Not sure what channel. You can check out ebooks from the library for your Kindle, too.

09 Mar 2012 09:11 #14 by archer
Replied by archer on topic No more Kindle for me.
The price of new releases is not up to Amazon it is set by the publisher. Amazon had originally set the price for new releases at $9.99, then as kindle got popular, and new options like the nook and apple ipad came on the market the publishers threatened to pull there titles from amazon unless they charged more for their new books like apple promised to. A couple publishers actually did till amazon gave in. So direct your anger at the publishers and apple, not amazon.

I did see in the last couple days that the justice dept is going after apple and several book publishers over that whole issue.

09 Mar 2012 11:52 #15 by CC
Replied by CC on topic No more Kindle for me.

When I bought 285Bound, I thought I was just buying a site that I was already heavily involved with and wouldn't be doing anything different than I already had been doing. Wrong. There is so much more that can be done, and who better than us, the people who are most affected who live in this community? Even on my worst days dealing with stuff I don't want to here, my daughter stubbornly refusing to conform to anyone's schedule but her own, feeling like I'm so far behind on my to-do list that I'll never see my husband again from around my computer screen, my pets treating the carpet as their own personal bathroom, etc, I can't help but be in a good spirit because of how I'm helping to make a positive difference in this community. And you can feel that way too, I promise you. You don't have to give money, just your time and effort, in a myriad of ways. Rather than complaining about "how negative this site is", or how we can't keep from "partisan bashing one another", get out and help your neighbors - it puts the other stuff in a better, more realistic perspective.

Your life sounds a lot like almost everyone here, with the exception of VL.

09 Mar 2012 12:00 #16 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic No more Kindle for me.

archer wrote: The price of new releases is not up to Amazon it is set by the publisher. Amazon had originally set the price for new releases at $9.99, then as kindle got popular, and new options like the nook and apple ipad came on the market the publishers threatened to pull there titles from amazon unless they charged more for their new books like apple promised to. A couple publishers actually did till amazon gave in. So direct your anger at the publishers and apple, not amazon.

I did see in the last couple days that the justice dept is going after apple and several book publishers over that whole issue.

Those price hikes might backfire on the publishers, Amazon is looking into becoming a publisher.

And SC, you do a great job running the site, thanks.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Mar 2012 13:22 #17 by archer
Replied by archer on topic No more Kindle for me.
Amazon already is a publisher. For now they are concentrating on indie authors, many of whom are only available on e books...amazon is taking them to print also.

10 Mar 2012 15:46 #18 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Andrei is much more fun to listen to than read so if you want to listen for 2 minutes

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlaye ... =148254652

Otherwise, here is the transcript

MELISSA BLOCK, HOST:

When you buy an e-book, commentator Andrei Codrescu points out, there are physical benefits.

ANDREI CODRESCU, BYLINE: When I retire, I promised myself I will read all the great books I said I would read one day, and I'll reread all the books I once loved. And all my life, it seems I carried boxes full of these books from one city to another, from one house to another, and I furnished endless rooms and gave away hundreds of volumes, and I put out my back many times. And as soon as I retired, I was ready to begin. I picked up my featherlight Kindle, the great chiropractor, and took off for the woods, where I've been ever since reading books I never intended to, things like "Books Fatal to Their Authors," a lovely history of books that literally got their authors killed by various religious and lay inquisitions.

And when I got back to my study, the books on the shelves glared at me as I sat down to write an update beginning: You books tried to kill me with your great number and weight. Now, I certainly hope that they are as innocent as they look because an Earthquake could make that true yet. And in this matter of books, you can never be sure how many are too many and how heavy is heavy. I hear my friends in the book business moaning with anguish at my trivial concern for my physical body, my apparent disregard for the old paperweights.

Why aren't you shouting about evil Amazon bringing about the end of the book, the end of choice and our vanishing profit margins, about Amazon that like its namesake, the river, is washing every word away in its swell? But I stand concerned only about my back and what books have done to my spine over the years, my flexible spine that, in the name of culture, conspired with my stiff upper lip to keep me from toppling into a grave of my gravest books. I think I have become a selfish monster. I would rather be washed away than wail in pain.

BLOCK: Andrei Codrescu has done his share to increase back pain. He has written 40 books.

Also

Justice Dept. Warns Apple, Publishers Over E-Books Price Collusion

. . . "The Justice Department believes that Apple and the publishers acted in concert to raise prices across the industry, and is prepared to sue them for violating federal antitrust laws, the people familiar with the matter said.

"The publishers have denied acting jointly to raise prices. They have told investigators that the shift to agency pricing enhanced competition in the industry by allowing more electronic booksellers to thrive. ...

"Prior to agency pricing, Amazon often sold best-selling digital books for less than it paid for them, a marketing stance that some publishers worried would make the emerging digital-books marketplace less appealing for other potential retailers. The publishers' argument that agency pricing increased competition hasn't persuaded the Justice Department, a person familiar with the matter said. Government lawyers have questioned how competition could have increased when prices went up. Amazon declined to comment."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... -collusion

I resisted the Kindle for a long time as I have loved books and reading my entire life, but I finally succumbed and love it. No more awkward angles trying to prop up a heavy book, no more stupid clip on lights that always failed. I love my little Kindle.

11 Mar 2012 10:42 #19 by CC

12 Mar 2012 06:28 #20 by CC

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds