good camping spots?

17 Mar 2012 07:54 #1 by THE horseman
Lookin for some good places to camp,
Not campgrounds of course.....any good ideas out there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2012 10:21 #2 by JSG
Replied by JSG on topic good camping spots?
You didn't specify car camping or what type of camping. Do you want to be away from everyone, near water or a creek. What are you looking for?

17 Mar 2012 20:03 #3 by THE horseman
Replied by THE horseman on topic good camping spots?
Ok I'll be more specific.....4wd access, private, water, creek, river or lake,
Somewhere to keep horses overnight a huge plus!!!!
Got lots of places about tree line but lookin for
somethin a little lower for this time of year

18 Mar 2012 10:14 #4 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic good camping spots?
Lake City might be an area you would like, after the snow melts.
http://www.lakecity.com/index.php/outdo ... ack-riding

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

14 Jun 2012 22:32 #5 by AlpineMike
Replied by AlpineMike on topic good camping spots?
Hall Valley has a variety of camping options. The creek is the North Fork South Platte River drainage. There are two (fee area) campgrounds: Hall Valley CG and Hand Cart CG. There are areas to camp without fees away from the actual campground sites.
4x4 trails include Red Cone Jeep Trail #565, Handcart Gulch Road #121, and Hall Valley Road #126. Make sure to check with the Forrest Service for closures and road conditions. Red Cone and Handcart Jeep trails will take you over Webster Pass and will follow Snake River into Keystone ski resort.
Hall Valley has three hiking trails: Burning Bear Trail #601, Gibson Lake Trail #633, and South Park Trail #600.
The nearest lakes include Lininger Lake (10,214'), Gibson Lake (11,870'), and with a dedicated and difficult bushwhack hike Jefferson Lake(10,676') could become a worthy access if you like to use your navigation skills. I have not hiked to Jefferson Lake from Hall Valley but I would definitely like to try sometime.
Peaks above 12,000' elevation visible from Hall Valley include Whale Peak (13,078'), "Bullion" USLM (12,948'), Handcart Peak (12,518'), and Red Cone (12,807').
I'd recommend using the NG Trails Illustrated map #104 for navigation.
This valley is beautiful and provides hiking, motorized vehicle access, fishing, hunting, horseback riding, peak bagging, backpacking, and much more outdoor fun. Remember to be respectful and keep our forest clean and green. Peace.

15 Jun 2012 05:43 #6 by MamaRama
Replied by MamaRama on topic good camping spots?
Head towards KREMMLING... it's BEAUTIFUL up there, but it's about a 3.5 hour drive...

04 Jul 2012 19:17 #7 by bailey bud
Replied by bailey bud on topic good camping spots?
Prior to this year, I would have sent you to Jack's Gulch - up in the Poudre Canyon. It (was) a fantastic, private, National Forest campground, with plenty of ameneties.

Unfortunately, JG is likely gone (if I'm reading the fire maps correctly).

Over here - a good bit west of insanity, there's some off-the-beaten-path forest service campgrounds about 10 miles north of Mancos.

I'd also recommend the Hermosa Creek area - 20 miles north of Durango. (behind Durango Mountain Resort).
The camping is in dispersed campgrounds - but it's downright nice.

Of course - you need to drive down here ---- and we're about 7 hours away.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds