Angie the Cow - Saved by the Elk Creek Fire Department!

19 Mar 2012 15:32 #1 by ScienceChic
From our good friends at the Elk Creek Fire Department (thanks for sending this gentlemen!):

Photo by Mrs. Suzanne Stevenson. Fire Chief Bill McLaughlin (left) looks on as Elk Creek firefighters work to free Angie.

CONIFER: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, was a pleasant day on the farm, unseasonably warm and sunny. As evening drew near Angie took a stroll through the pasture, as is her custom. She didn’t have much on her mind, seems she never really does. She rambled along without a care, until suddenly she realized she’d walked into a bog. She was knee-deep in mud. The more she struggled, the deeper she sank.

Angie is expecting, again, and she’s not as young as she once was. Try as she might she couldn’t pull free. Finally, exhausted and frightened Angie settled her 1,600-pound bulk into the mire and simply gave up. There she lay trapped in the cold mud, mooing woefully.

The farmer found her just after dark. He and his sons tried their best to free Angie, but quickly realized the task was too great. That’s when he placed the urgent 911-call for help.

Elk Creek Fire Department responded, sending firefighters and equipment to the scene. While in route, Deputy Fire Chief Pete Igel contacted the Jefferson County Horse Evacuation Assistance Team (Jeffco HEAT) and advised them of the situation.

Upon arrival Elk Creek Fire Department pulled a fire engine along one fence and a rescue vehicle along another. They trained powerful lights on the spot where Angie lay. With the pasture illuminated, firefighters waded into the mud and began digging with shovels and gloved hands in an effort to free the hapless bovine. Once they were sure Angie’s legs weren’t pinned beneath her, a strap was used to pull her (with considerable effort) out of the mud and onto a tarp. Then the firefighters wiped away as much mud as they could and covered her with blankets. Scott Halladay from Jeffco HEAT arrived, and he began caring for Angie. She was given water, and soon seemed less frightened than she had been.

With Angie out the mud and under the care of Jeffco HEAT the Elk Creek Fire crew packed up their gear (took turns hosing mud off one another), and returned to their regular job of looking out for the district’s two legged residents. Angie for her part watched the goings on and rolled her softball size eyes in wonder.

It just goes to show, the folks at Elk Creek Fire Department care deeply about all the residents of the Elk Creek Fire Protection District, even Angie the Cow.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Mar 2012 15:44 #2 by Grady

19 Mar 2012 15:57 #3 by Stymie
Great job by the fire department. However, the story is a little misleading. That cow is not in a pasture but a small pen with about 15 others. I don't know the last time they removed the cow pies. She was mired in both mud and dung. She also did not leave the spot they put her in for 5 days. The owners just threw hay over her which the other cows promptly ate. The owners finally had to lift her with a tractor to move her to a different spot. The people that own these animals should be ashamed of the conditions they put them in. I was hoping that an investigation into the conditions would be done after the rescuers saw how they were living. Haven't heard anything yet.

20 Mar 2012 20:42 #4 by ElkCreekFireDepartment
Sadly, Angie the Cow did not recover from her ordeal. Her owners used a tractor to hoist her up, but she was never strong enough to stand on her own. After their veterinarian checked her, they decided to "put her down."

Rest in peace Angie Cow.

In case of emergency, please dial 911.
elkcreekfpd.colorado.gov/
Facebook Page
Twitter
Instagram
303-816-9385 (Office Hours M-F 8:00-4:30)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

21 Mar 2012 06:00 #5 by Stymie
I'm sorry to hear that. You guys did do a great job. I was amazed when I drove by and saw how many people you had there working to save her. Do you know if any sort of welfare check will be done on that site? I truly find the conditions appalling and would hope someone could look into it. Perhaps I'm overreacting but I do not believe that the animals are being cared for properly.

21 Mar 2012 11:50 #6 by ScienceChic
Stymie, I've heard mixed things on the effectiveness of trying, but have you called Animal Services/Sheriff's Dept with documentation of what you've seen so they can begin an investigation and determine if any intervention is necessary?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds