identity theft

16 Jul 2010 17:49 #1 by FoothillsRealtor
does anyone have any experience with identity theft protection? What companies/services would you recommend? ARe they worth the money?

Sophia S Paul, Broker Associate
Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jul 2010 18:38 - 17 Jul 2010 17:36 #2 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic identity theft

FoothillsRealtor wrote: does anyone have any experience with identity theft protection? What companies/services would you recommend? ARe they worth the money?

I don't think so FR...You know someone stole my credit cards numbers and used them for a month before I caught it and it was fairly easy to have the charges removed. Your not responsible for fraudulent charges you know.

16 Jul 2010 18:45 #3 by FoothillsRealtor
Replied by FoothillsRealtor on topic identity theft

Vice Lord wrote:

FoothillsRealtor wrote: does anyone have any experience with identity theft protection? What companies/services would you recommend? ARe they worth the money?

I just had that happen, and yes, you are right VL, the CC company takes care of it. However, now I get all kinds stuff in the mail related to those charges, apparently they have my address as well. So far I have been sending it back. But I am a little nervous whatelse might happen...

I don't think so FR...You know someone stole my credit cards numbers and used them for a moth before I caught it and it was fairly easy to have the charges removed. Your not responsible for fraudulent charges you know.

Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

17 Jul 2010 13:12 #4 by UNDER MODERATION

FoothillsRealtor wrote: I just had that happen, and yes, you are right VL, the CC company takes care of it. However, now I get all kinds stuff in the mail related to those charges, apparently they have my address as well. So far I have been sending it back. But I am a little nervous whatelse might happen...

I understand, when it happened to me it was disturbing- cause there's nothing you can do about it, there are no internet police. The people that got me where in India or somewhere far away...The credit card company told me I could notify the local Sheriff? lol

17 Jul 2010 17:33 #5 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic identity theft

Vice Lord wrote: You know someone stole my credit cards numbers and used them for a moth before I caught it and it was fairly easy to have the charges removed. Your not responsible for fraudulent charges you know.

Wow, I remember when someone posted my credit report online -- on another board. It caused me all kinds of ID theft problems for a long time.

Oh wait. That was you, wasn't it?

17 Jul 2010 17:41 #6 by UNDER MODERATION

Wayne Harrison wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: You know someone stole my credit cards numbers and used them for a month before I caught it and it was fairly easy to have the charges removed. Your not responsible for fraudulent charges you know.

Wow, I remember when someone posted my credit report online -- on another board. It caused me all kinds of ID theft problems for a long time.

Oh wait. That was you, wasn't it?

Hold on a second...It sounds a lot worse than it was folks. Firstly, I know it didn't cause you problems because we were on a board with 5 members and it was only up for about 4 minutes before I took it down. Secondly that was a joke that back fired, I don't know what I was thinking when I did that and I have apologized numerous times for it.

Lets stay on topic now

17 Jul 2010 18:37 #7 by FoothillsRealtor
this is VERY bizarre -
1. someone (w my cc) got me board certified as an MDD - listen up, if you need your teeth pulled or something like that, contact your very own, local 285bound dentist - me-
2. according to "them" I am a licensed, certified helicopter pilot and was just accepted by some helicopter association (for only $400)
again, need a quick helicopter ride? your 285bound pilot here, at your service...
3. I also "was joined" (via my cc of course) to a beekeeper association, received their manual and a fancy hat with their logo

there are others, but these were the main one's. If it wasn't so scary it would be almost funny :scared: :VeryScared: :lol:

Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

17 Jul 2010 19:46 #8 by UNDER MODERATION

FoothillsRealtor wrote: this is VERY bizarre -
1. someone (w my cc) got me board certified as an MDD - listen up, if you need your teeth pulled or something like that, contact your very own, local 285bound dentist - me-
2. according to "them" I am a licensed, certified helicopter pilot and was just accepted by some helicopter association (for only $400)
again, need a quick helicopter ride? your 285bound pilot here, at your service...
3. I also "was joined" (via my cc of course) to a beekeeper association, received their manual and a fancy hat with their logo

there are others, but these were the main one's. If it wasn't so scary it would be almost funny :scared: :VeryScared: :lol:

It would be pretty cool if all that were true...

17 Jul 2010 19:55 #9 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic identity theft

This is not something you want to fool around with. I expect you have already alerted your cc companies. Perhaps other measures you may wish to take can be obtained by calling the SS office. The real question is do these folks have access to your personal information. Stolen CC are not that big a deal. I've gone through that once while living in Saudi.

Some agencies that specialize in identity theft are discussed here http://www.5identitytheftprotection.com/

Without brith certificate information, bank passwords, DL, etc, chances are you are not looking at ID theft, but just CC theft. That is a pain but not nearly as threatening.

17 Jul 2010 20:13 #10 by FoothillsRealtor

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

This is not something you want to fool around with. I expect you have already alerted your cc companies. Perhaps other measures you may wish to take can be obtained by calling the SS office. The real question is do these folks have access to your personal information. Stolen CC are not that big a deal. I've gone through that once while living in Saudi.

Some agencies that specialize in identity theft are discussed here http://www.5identitytheftprotection.com/

Without brith certificate information, bank passwords, DL, etc, chances are you are not looking at ID theft, but just CC theft. That is a pain but not nearly as threatening.

exactly Rockdoc, yes, the cc company is taking care of it, they advised me to file a police report (talked to our sheriff's office, but they won't do anything - yet - is what they told me). i also chekced on my credit report and signed up to have an alert system in place. I am not sure why someone would go through the trouble to steal a cc number and then do what they did that has no value to them (Oh and i forgot, they also bought an expensive membership for the international heart and lung transplant association), all the material etc comes to my address.

Home Real Estate
Bailey, CO
303-838-3322           

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds