he won't begin charging residents for trash pick up

22 Jun 2012 13:16 #1 by swoop
Regarding this news article:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... source=rss

Within the article above Hancock states:

"he won't begin charging residents for trash pick up at their homes"

Who pays for the city residents of Denver's trash service? Is there trash service rolled into there property taxes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jun 2012 13:19 #2 by JMC

swoop wrote: Regarding this news article:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... source=rss

Within the article above Hancock states:

"he won't begin charging residents for trash pick up at their homes"

Who pays for the city residents of Denver's trash service? Is there trash service rolled into there property taxes?

Yes, it has been included.

22 Jun 2012 14:25 #3 by BearMtnHIB
This is what government does- hopefully the citizens are starting to catch on.

Denver includes the costs for trash pickup in their property taxes- it has worked this way for a long time. What happens is- when the city gets squeezed- it wants to reduce the scope of what it does- in affect they wanted to charge twice for trash pickup.

Many times they get away with it- reduce the scope of what your taxes were paying for- by charging extra for somthing your taxes were already paying for in the past. It's a way to effectively raise taxes without having the citizens vote on it, which is required in our state constitution.

Douglas schools and even Jeffco schools now want to charge extra for school bus rides- a service that up till now was covered by the school district taxes we pay. Now they want to charge each student a fee everyday just like the RTD system does.

Be aware that our local government will be pulling every trick they got out of the hat- in order to extract every dollar they can from us.

If a contractor gave you a bid to put a new roof on your house and later came back and double charged youfor what you thought you already paid for- they would call it fraud.

But when government does it- nobody says boo!

22 Jun 2012 15:36 #4 by swoop
BearMtnHIB - I am completely with you! Thanks for the info.

22 Jun 2012 15:47 #5 by JMC

swoop wrote: BearMtnHIB - I am completely with you! Thanks for the info.

Everybody pays, if the city does it may cost a little more but the workers get some benefits unlike the barely above minimum wage that private companies pay. We all pay one way or another. It all comes out in the wash and there is no free ride.

25 Jun 2012 11:21 #6 by BearMtnHIB

jmc wrote:

swoop wrote: BearMtnHIB - I am completely with you! Thanks for the info.

Everybody pays, if the city does it may cost a little more but the workers get some benefits unlike the barely above minimum wage that private companies pay. We all pay one way or another. It all comes out in the wash and there is no free ride.

What the City wants to do- is charge an additional fee for collecting the trash, and continue to charge the same taxes they always do.

So that would be charging twice.

It's like if I sold you a set of tires for 100 bucks- and told you that balancing and mounting were included in the price- and then coming back later and wanting another 25 bucks just for the balancing and mounting.

That would be fraud in the business world, but for local government, they pull that crap all the time. I'm just saying beware of this tatic. It's one of the inherent problems of local government- and a good argument for less government in the first place.

There is no reason why these services need to be under the control of City government in the first place- at least if it was a private service, consumers could competitively price the service, and there would be no chance of being double charged - like Denver just tried to get away with doing.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds