CO Unemployment Insurance Appeal

27 Jul 2012 07:28 #1 by abc
Long story short - I was suddenly laid off without any warning after several years. Employer denied my unemployment claim saying I caused the separation by breaking a company rule. I was never told this when I was dismissed so do not know what rule I broke! Have you ever been denied CO Unemployment Insurance and submitted an appeal? If so, was your appeal brief, extremely detail, etc? What happened during your appeal process? Were you eventually allowed to collect unemployment?

Thanks for any input on this appeals process

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jul 2012 07:47 - 27 Jul 2012 11:25 #2 by mtn60
I appealed one time for a company that hired us as full time employees to do one job and that was it. We finished the job and since they had no more work for us basically laid us off.
I put them down as a contributing employer and they tried to deny their portion to CO Dept of Labor unemployment
I field an appeal and guess what on the set date for parties to attend the appeal they never showed up !
Result I won and got benefits !
So file the appeal regardless cause you never know.

Now there are other companies that will fight tooth and nail to get out of paying unemployment benes Like Rhino Staging down in Denver, they supply labor for concerts around Denver.
They are so cheapo and they categorize employees as "part time, on call" to get out of the paying unemployment, no matter how many hours they work which can be up to 50 hrs a week when its really busy to try and snake around paying into the system. Even go so low to start new people out at $8 an hr for a very labor intensive day yet they bill clients nearly 3x, pay no OT to employees until after 12 hrs, but bills clients OT after 8 hrs etc etc. In my eyes they are crooks and I don't mind saying so here.

In your case, they have to prove to the state that you knew 'the rule' and prove you broke it.
So make the appeal you've got nothing to lose 'cept maybe an afternoon.

27 Jul 2012 08:27 #3 by 2wlady
I worked a contract position and my six months was coming to an end. I asked my employer if my contract was going to be extended. They said they would get back to me but didn't. I asked the company I was supporting and they said my contract was not being renewed. When it ended, I filed for unemployment, told unemployment what happened, and got unemployment.

Go for it. Never hurts to try.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds