Toxic weed to horses in park county

03 Aug 2012 17:11 #1 by horse man
There was a small aritical in todays flume located in "letters to the editor" that indicated a toxic weed (Hoary Alyssum) spreading threw the bailey area. In regards to the horse community we are sending the info out because the weed is toxic to horses and can remain toxic dry for up to nine months! We will post the articals here in a while for anyone to veiw. Scincerly,

Concerned horse owners of the Bailey area

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Aug 2012 17:49 #2 by horse man

03 Aug 2012 18:16 #3 by horse man

03 Aug 2012 18:23 #4 by horse man
There is a picture and more info..if you need more ask or google search it...

03 Aug 2012 19:00 #5 by horse man

04 Aug 2012 12:14 #6 by juniper
Here is a photo of a mature hoary alyssum plant (the scientific name is Berteroa incana, in the mustard family) taken near Bailey.

As you can see in the photo posted earlier in this topic, the flowers are clustered at the tip of each stem, with developing fruits all along the stem below. The leaves are simple, and slightly sticky. The younger flowering plants are single stems, as in the photo posted earlier, and seedlings are low-growing rosettes of green leaves.

The only local plant you could confuse it with is western yarrow, but yarrow has flat-topped flower clusters and frilly leaves:

http://spuds.agron.ksu.edu/acmi.htm

In our area, seeds of hoary alyssum will be maturing soon. Now is the time to go after the flowering plants. When pulling by hand, be sure to get at least the root crown, or the plant will simply make a new shoot from the remaining taproot (which can be very deep, as Alan Swarz mentions in his letter to the Flume).

04 Aug 2012 12:17 #7 by juniper
Sorry, here is larger image I referred to in my previous post:

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds