Tough question about euthanasia

20 Jul 2010 19:02 #1 by Scooby72
Posted on another site too, sorry if it's a repeat for some, just need info. :( Mods feel free to move, wasn't sure where to put this.

Our lab was 10 and just getting sicker, he has been deteriorating rapidly the past few weeks and we decided to put him down today. I have never been present for a euthanasia, I was not there for my black lab and regret it to this day - my husband was with him. However, the vet was very nice and told us that our lab might stretch or even howl. The vet said sometimes if they are vocal in life they have a tendency to howl as a reflex during the euth. He howled for 30 - 45 seconds, it was heart/gut wrenching. The vet assured us it was a reflex and that he did not feel anything. I looked at her fast once he started howling and she nor the tech seemed surprised or concerned, they kept petting him with us.

This was very difficult for us to hear, and I want to know he didn't suffer, but I also want to know the truth. We have another dog and I'll have to make this decision again. She is VERY vocal and constantly talks to us, I think hearing her howl like that at the end just may kill me.

Any advice or experience anyone can share would be very very helpful. I know this is very personal and tough for people to discuss, so I am very appreciative.

Rest in peace Blitz - damn fine dog, he is missed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jul 2010 20:19 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Tough question about euthanasia
I am very sorry to hear. I know this is hard. I still am having trouble from my dog over a year ago. I did not watch just too hard. I have never heard of that before.

20 Jul 2010 20:45 #3 by The Viking
I am so sorry for your loss. I had to do that a few years ago. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. But let me assure you that your heart will mend with time.

Euthanasia, in Greek it means "the good death"

Here is a few quotes I found that helped me.

"I am sending you on a journey to a land free from pain..not because I didn't love you but because I loved you too much to force you to stay."

"God's finger touched him, and he slept." (Alfred, Lord Tennyson)

From your dogs perspective....... Get a box of tissues. You showed your greatest act of love towards him.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

20 Jul 2010 20:47 #4 by Cupcake
I was there to put down my 13-yr old kitty. The vet (this was in Memphis) didn't tell me what to expect at all. I was haunted for years by my baby's last moments - the look in his eyes seemed like pure hatred...I bawled for 5 days, hoping that he didn't suffer and I was the cause of it.

To this day, I still don't know if he did. But the pain has subsided to the point where it doesn't hurt anymore. Took about 5 years...

For a dog, especially one who is vocal in life - I would think he was saying goodbye, and was perhaps aware he was saying goodbye for the last time, and wanted to make sure you heard it loud and clear. If he were able to speak words, or we could interpret what he said, it was probably something like, "Hey, I'll wait for you at the bridge! Don't forget to pick me up!"

Sweet dreams, Blitz.

20 Jul 2010 21:04 #5 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Tough question about euthanasia
Ahhhhh Scooby. I am so sorry that today was so difficult for you.
We also had to put a Lab to sleep a few years ago. Her death was very peaceful and quiet. She was 22. I think the vets are telling you the truth.
To me, it is kinder to let them go than to let them continue to suffer in this life.
We don't know the pain they are in while we have them. The hurt they feel in their hips and joints.
I will keep you in my prayers tonight. I hope you find peace in the wonderful memories of your sweet pet. It will take some time but your heart will begin to fill with those memories.
God Bless you.

20 Jul 2010 21:36 #6 by LopingAlong
Scooby, I send you my deepest condolences. It is never easy to say goodbye and when you feel guilty for any reason, that is all the more gut-wrenching.

I can tell you that I was a vet-tech for many years and was pre-vet in college; I've assisted many animals of all breeds to their crossing. Some vocalize, some don't. I hated it as much as anyone when they were vocal because it sounds so...bad. I always looked at their eyes though and I can assure you that I've never seen a single animal stare at me with any cognitition or pain when they passed or even when they vocalized. I don't know what they feel, but next time, to save yourself that agony, ask that the animal be sedated first, then euthanized. I think that helps diminish the final throes--be they physical or verbal.

Again, I offer you my consolation and commend you on being there at the end for your dog. I know he was happy to have his human with him and to feel safe.

Remember the good times with him and know that the love you shared made his life so very very good!

Peace and Light to you and your family.

21 Jul 2010 08:52 #7 by Scooby72
Thank you all so much for sharing your stories. It was a tough evening thinking that he was in pain that last minute, but after reading stories and researching, it did appear to be a reflex and not a cry in pain. I know medically speaking that he was gone probably before she finished the injection, she warned us - but being warned about it and hearing it were two different things.

My stepson and his dad were trying to talk to him but really were unable to formulate words. I talked to Blitz the whole time before he started howling and until she told me his heart had stopped. As disturbing and heart wrenching as it was, all I could think was that it was important for him to hear our voices and remain calm. I knew if I got upset he would sense it, and I didn't want him passing with that feeling. The vet talked to him the whole time too, she clearly cares for every animal she sees - whether just a check up or having to put them down.

The next one I will be there, and I will ask for a sedation prior to the euth injection. I just want it to be as peaceful as possible for them and I guess being a bit selfish for me too. Incidentally, I don't think the vet messed up by not giving him an injection, he was so out of it he couldn't walk and struggled to lift his head, I think we all presumed that he didn't need it. He went downhill so fast that last few hours.

That howl is stuck in my head, probably will be for some time. But, I went through pics last night and we talked about the fun times and the last few mins of his life will be a memory and the good ones will outweigh that one. My stepdaughter reminded me that he was playing ball with my Max and "eating lots of chicken"! I was puzzled then she reminded me that Blitz was allergic to chicken but LOVED it. So yes, very logical even to her that he was up there eating all the chicken he wants. :)

21 Jul 2010 08:55 #8 by Scooby72

The Viking wrote: I am so sorry for your loss. I had to do that a few years ago. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. But let me assure you that your heart will mend with time.

Euthanasia, in Greek it means "the good death"

Here is a few quotes I found that helped me.

"I am sending you on a journey to a land free from pain..not because I didn't love you but because I loved you too much to force you to stay."

"God's finger touched him, and he slept." (Alfred, Lord Tennyson)

From your dogs perspective....... Get a box of tissues. You showed your greatest act of love towards him.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Viking - this was one of the sweetest things I have read, I read it last night and just bawled. I'm not going to read it today while I'm at work or I'll lose it again. Thank you for sharing this, it eloquently explains the whole ordeal we go through and how important it is for us to let them go when it's time. /hug

21 Jul 2010 16:38 #9 by 40coupe
Scooby72, my sincere sympathy and condolences to you and your family. I can't bear to think of the day when my Border Collie will need my help to reach The Bridge. Viking, Thank You, for those kind words and awarenesses. Writing all that down now, for later.

21 Jul 2010 18:07 #10 by Sunshine Girl
:heart: :heart: :heart: RIP Blitz :heart: :heart: :heart:

I just read this Scooby and I feel your pain. My heart is with you and your beloved Blitz. I was there when we put my show horse (and good friend) down after a tragic accident and when I had to put my adorable cat of 20 years down. A few years ago we lost our family dog and he was rushed to the vet when he took a huge turn for the worse. We lost him on the table and I felt so much remorse that perhaps I waited a few days too long and should have put him down instead of what he went through that night. My cats passing was the least trumatic of them all but I wasn't easy and didn't come without guilt even though she had cancer and didn't have long to live (she was deteriorating rapidly).

I never had one of them make sounds like you describe, but I'm sure the vet was telling the truth. I'm so sorry for your loss and I too think you showed the final act of true love you could to your dog.

Viking that was beautiful but I couldn't finish reading it without crying. I will try again later.

Our prayers are with you Scooby. :heart:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds